The Sackler family gets sacked from NY's Met museum

Originally published at: The Sackler family gets sacked from NY's Met museum | Boing Boing

5 Likes

6 Likes

I hope more museums follow suit. The reputation laundry for this toxic family needs to shut down.

12 Likes

Dr. Raymond Sackler said[…] " now we are passing the torch to others who might wish to step forward to support the museum." …

Said Dan Weiss, the Met’s president and chief executive officer, “This gracious gesture by the Sacklers aids the museum in continuing to serve this and future generations. We greatly appreciate it.” …

Yeah, give the bastards a graceful, face-saving exit. “passing the torch” my ass.

“We thank the Sacklers for graciously helping fund the Met with profits from their destruction of countless human lives. Now that they’ve been caught we appreciate their letting us off the hook.”

20 Likes

Exactly. The Met has been facing pressure to do this for almost a decade. Apparently, they were only willing to do anything after a team of lawyers carefully massaged the narrative and figured out a way to back-door a new round of donations.

6 Likes

Fuck the met for being nice to these killers.

5 Likes

Now the Smithsonian, please.

4 Likes

In 2019, they unified the Sackler and Freer galleries as the National Museum of Asian Art. Preparations for the inevitable?

(They connect and aside from the buildings-- Freer is beaux arts Florentine Renaissance, Sackler is underground-- it’s kind of hard to understand the differences.)

4 Likes

Well, it did lead to the creation of more art pieces put on display at The Met.

5 Likes

Yeah, they blend together when you’re in them. It’s hard to tell which one you’re in.

3 Likes

(The donation, and the museum predate oxycontin, though oxycontin wasn’t the first delayed release formula to come from Purdue Pharma)

5 Likes

“The Met has been built by the philanthropy of generations of donors — and the Sacklers have been among our most generous supporters,” said Dan Weiss, the Met’s president and chief executive officer. "This gracious gesture by the Sacklers aids the museum in continuing to serve this and future generations. We greatly appreciate it."

3 Likes

4 Likes

The announcement came today, made jointly by both the Met and the Sacklers.

Its hilarious the Sacklers even bother to spin this. It’s so obviously a “You didn’t fire me – I quit!” moment. But billionaire lifestyles come with their own reality distortion fields.

3 Likes

It’s the same family, and you could argue that the acts of the descendants tarnished the name, but the Smithsonian museum was named after Arthur M. Sackler in 1971, before Oxycontin as we know it existed, and Arthur M. died before it did.

1 Like

“How do you get to Carnegie Hall?””

“Donations!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.