The sand dunes of Maine

[Permalink]

1 Like

These two sentences, particularly together, seem to give the impression this is some sort of quicksand but the photos appear to clearly indicate otherwise:

The Tuttles didn’t immediately give up on the farm, but eventually that patch of sand grew to cover over 40 acres, swallowing farming equipment—and even entire buildings—in the process.

“Today, most visitors chose to explore the grounds via a 30-minute tram tour, which takes visitors around the perimeter of the desert…”

I know of this via the promotional pamphlets that call it “The desert of Maine” so I was thrown by the headline, here…

And because a large number of the beaches in Southern Maine do indeed have dunes comprised of the same sand as found on the beach.

http://www.maine.gov/dep/land/nrpa/dunes/

If you are interested in being a dune, the State of Maine has this handy form for you to fill out: www.maine.gov/dep/land/nrpa/sand_dune_application.pdf

[NOTE FOR HUMORLESS PEDANTS: intentional misreading of the form name on my part]

1 Like

I AM DUNE… and everything else.

3 Likes

L.L. Bean has great deals on Stillsuits.

3 Likes

Get them while you can – they’re moving  fast!

The good news is that it can be rehabilitated because despite everything we throw at it nature is still awesome:

I present the most incredbile before and after shots I’ve ever seen

The question that remains however, is it worth more as a farm as or for the money you make charging for tram rides? :stuck_out_tongue:

40 acres is not an impressive desert, why I believe the Sahara is even bigger. Are we sure this guy didn’t just buy the sand at Home Depot?

It’s all a matter of perspective. The creator of the Sahara actually won an award.

40 acres is much too small except for the most stunted of makers…

What if I threw in a mule?

Oh man, I was so trying not to go there…

But since you have… If you throw in the mule, you can get Spike Lee in on it.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/01/40_acres_and_a_mule_promise_to_slaves_the_real_story.1.html

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.