The satisfaction of dropping a rock down the deepest pit in America and hearing it hit the bottom (video)

Originally published at: The satisfaction of dropping a rock down the deepest pit in America and hearing it hit the bottom (video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Throwing Fran Healy GIF by Travis

6 Likes

“Ow! Knock it off! Don’t make me come up there!”

5 Likes

watch me video GIF by Paramount Pictures

5 Likes

Good going, guys. Now it’s exactly one rock less deep.

16 Likes

Christ, what a rock-hole.

3 Likes

Pippin oops

10 Likes

hamster wheel powered abacus time!

units '600 feet' meters -> 182.88
seconds = sqrt((2*d)/g)
echo "sqrt((2*182.88)/9.807)" | bc -l
6.1 seconds
5 Likes

Came here for the tom-fool of a Took.

1 Like

But does that mean you leaving happy, or can you not get out? :grimacing:

3 Likes

Eh, if I get taken down I’ll just come back in a slightly different color.

1 Like

The preferred term is cave explorers.

No, those duuudes are spelunkers all right. Real cavers would have some respect for the pit and not be lobbing big rocks down.

4 Likes

That checks out. I did it the opposite way – I timed the time of the fall and got almost exactly 6 second, or 176.4 m!

5 Likes

It’s the old joke!

A professor wrote a test question for their engineering students: “You have been told to measure the depth of this pit using this barometer. How do you accomplish this?”

“Drop the barometer into the pit and time how long it takes to hear it hit bottom.”

“Climb down the pit carrying the barometer, making a mark on the wall at barometer-length distances. On your way back up, count the number of marks. Measure the height of the barometer and multiply by the number of marks.”

“Lower the barometer into the pit on a long rope. When it stops going down, pull it back up and measure the amount of rope it took.”

“Tell a nearby spelunker ‘In exchange for your climbing down into this pit, measuring it, and telling me its depth, I will give you this scientifically calibrated, high quality barometer.’”

8 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.