The Shirtless Wonder's Alternate History

Mark Frauenfelder writes: “most of the world supports Ukraine”

I get it. I live in the US, the US is all in on supporting Ukraine, and the propaganda environment is worse than the post 9/11 years, but seriously? You only get “most of the world supports Ukraine” if you ignore South America, Africa, India, China, and the rest of Asia outside of Japan and S. Korea which is about 2/3’s of the world’s population.

And like nearly every article written since the Russian invasion, the author of the linked piece ignores that Ukraine had been in a civil war fought along ethnic lines for seven years prior to the Russian invasion. The Russian invasion was act II in an ongoing ethnic conflict, not the start of the war.

In the post 9/11 years, Boing Boing tried to highlight the obvious propaganda and speak the truth even when it conflicted with the official line. Now 20 years later, the editors are old and comfortable and they are happy to go along with whatever everyone else is saying, no matter how obviously wrong it is, cf. “most of the world supports Ukraine.”

I’m a little sad that Boing Boing isn’t what it used to be, but we all grow old.