The smart way to play ping pong

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/11/the-smart-way-to-play-ping-pon.html

3 Likes

In spite of the banners, this looked to me like Putin vs. Yeltsin.

3 Likes

The guy on the losing side kept giving the other person really easy positions to play from. This is when it’s good to have a good grasp on applying spin to the ball, you can hit it back from difficult angles and still be able to force your opponent to come off an easy place to return the ball, making subsequent plays easier to control their position. If you’re going to do a straight hit back without spin then yeah you’d need to have really good accuracy on where to land the ball.

2 Likes

There’s definitely a good visual metaphor here.

2 Likes

Yeah, the losing player was very good at returning the ball right to the older player. My suspicion is this was not accidental.

6 Likes

I was suspicious about it as well, it was a bit too perfectly returned. I mean i have played games where that happened and that could be the case here, but i did suspect it could be set up.

2 Likes

The other guy: ‘Controlling the point- why didn’t I think of that??’

I first played ping pong after I’d set/shared the world record for 2-person ball juggling. All my instincts were to “fix” the lousy shots sent my way, returning them straight back down the middle. It looked pretty much like the video here.

3 Likes
1 Like

Well . . . one of these guys was getting some good aerobic exercise at least.

I find this classic bout more convincing (and satisfying):

This could well have come from bOINGbOING in the first place, come to think of it.

2 Likes

And of course, the classic fake:

1 Like

Agreed. This reminded me a lot of learning to play racquetball with my dad. I’d be scrambling all over the place and he barely moved. I think it’s a novice instinct to try to get the ball back to safe ground.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.