The SNL/Shatner 'Get A Life' video

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/06/the-snl-shatner-get-a-life-video.html

7 Likes

Ah, that takes me back. :smile: Phil Hartman was so talented, and gone too soon. I’d put that SNL sketch and a few scenes from Galaxy Quest side-by-side whenever I need a laugh about sci-fi, Trek, and fans!

24 Likes

A classic!

5 Likes

I just re-watched that one recently. The convention scenes made me laugh!

GALAXYQUEST

15 Likes

When ever I have to flex nerd cred:

I had a scholarship from Starfleet.

9 Likes

Funny how the tables have turned and we’re now aware of so many more fanbases that are more fanatical than Star Trek’s, though the measurement seems moot when Star Trek’s fans are among the least toxic of the nerd realms.

10 Likes

Is that a young David Schwimmer?

“Could they be the miners?”
“Sure. They must be like 3 years old.”

Love me a good Galaxy Quest. And Rickman’s character does such an amazing job.
I went to go see Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary in the theater when it came out last year. A touching romp, and had some new tidbits of information I’d not heard before.

5 Likes

Justin Long (played the Mac in the Apple commercials)

3 Likes

WHAT??? How have I just heard about this!!??

3 Likes

[ETA: there are actually several SNL Star Trek skits, that show was a deep well of material.]

8 Likes
7 Likes

the little blond kid had like an uncle or something he was visiting on the staff at NBC but he was actually from Nashville and ended up going to my high school. Sean D. he threw a really awesome party once. even though he was a nice guy and it was years later, we were all a little jealous he got to be in such a cool and memorable SNL sketch.

5 Likes

Damn. I never get away with the “it wasn’t me, it was my evil twin” ploy.

3 Likes

That sketch took on a life of its own. Years later, people would talk about it as if an incident like that actually happened.

9 Likes

It also prompted Shatner to write his book Get A Life which is interesting although, if I may say so, I find the story of the couple who refused to give him a ride a little implausible.

2 Likes

Currently on amazon prime video. I watched it not too long ago. Some funny stuff in there.

2 Likes

Now that Jim Carrey will be on SNL this season, I’m hoping they won’t ask him to participate in another. :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

That is Justin Long’s film debut.

1 Like

People forget how mocked Shatner was for years as an egotistical has-been with a bad toupee who took himself completely seriously and couldn’t laugh at himself.

Yes, I know that seems ridiculous now, but through the 70s and 80s that was the general media reflection of him. The entertainment press truly despised him for some reason. This SNL episode is the exact point when the tide started to turn. He even did a skit where he was admiring himself in the mirror saying all sorts of silly things, to make fun of the media/public perception.

Finally, by the time of the goofball Priceline ads in the late 90s Shatner was “hip” again, and his former take-myself-serious label was completely gone. And since then, though his ham acting and large ego still get some press, the viciousness that you sometimes found in the 80s articles is completely gone.

5 Likes