The sound a harp makes when it breaks

Well, technically you can measure “lbs” (whatever that is) in tonnes, just bring a couple of 0s.

One of my grandfathers was a piano builder (and a butcher, long story), he had stories.

4 Likes

Look at it from the other side. If a rope or cable is under so much tension that can make an audible tone, you might want to think twice about standing next to it…

2 Likes

True, I this is a smaller harp. I wasn’t thinking about that. The last time I heard an actual number was from a tech at the Lyon and Healy factory about a semi-grand harp (I think a 46 string) my wife was interested in.

Also, it looks like the numbers he gave me were wrong anyway, I thought the total tension in a piano was more in the range of ~6 tons compared to 2-3 for that harp.

Thanks for the new info!

1 Like

That look on her face, I felt that. This reminds me of the time I was playing my guitar and a string broke, it snapped and one end of the string went straight into my hand like a needle. I’ve broken a lot of strings, hopefully I’ll never have anything top that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.