The story behind Yello's "Oh Yeah," famously used in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/26/the-story-behind-yellos-oh.html

8 Likes

They have a new single out - as delightfully fun and offbeat as always:

21 Likes

In addition to Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, I also think of the commercials for Twix.

10 Likes

Little known fact: the CH in “ch ka ch ka” stands for Confederation Helvetia.

True, dat.

7 Likes

Wow–had no idea. Thanks for posting.

They have not lost their touch as far as their video style goes. Still going for that sound-vs-sense angle also.

Beat that, Kraftwerk!

6 Likes

Still one of my all time favorite bands.
When I learned that Boris basically has and constantly adds to a music library of his own creation then takes the beats and riffs to make the songs my mind was blown. Their songs are pure sampling but no pesky copyright issues.
It warms my heart to know they are still going.
Also thanks to modern technology making things much more portable they are able to do things live now.

11 Likes

The first two or three albums are where the prime stuff is:

7 Likes

“Oh Yeah” was a staple in ‘80s movies generally. Short clips of it showed up all over the place, usually in sex scenes. Iconic, awesomely fun song. My Yello singles on cassette got a lot of play on the family boom box back then.

5 Likes

It’s like Stan Lee never left us.

6 Likes

Great stuff. Yello and The Art of Noise definitely gave a lot more colour to the 80s, using sampling like that.

8 Likes

Todd in the Shadows covered this one. Fascinating.

I really liked this song back in the day… early sort of “electronica” exposure.

3 Likes

Howard Moon must be thrilled right now!

5 Likes

Moon Chickca

8 Likes

Huge fan, had everything they put out on disc up til a year or two ago (now digitzed). Their early stuff is what most remember, but Flag, Baby, and Pocket Universe remain standout albums for me as well. I mean, they had a song about a seductive blender salesman…

5 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

Here’s a favorite from 1981.

4 Likes

Everybody!
Needs Somebody!

(Sometimes)

2 Likes

…and now tell us about the Art of Noise…

6 Likes

also in Michael J. Fox’s Secret Of My Success.

how’s that movie end?

uhhhhhh … oh! he bangs that old lady and then they play that song from the 80s

what song?

you know… “day bow bow, chick… chicka-chicka”

Finally I see where the writers of Black Sails got their character design for Jack Rackham from, such strange facial hair v1.czsxMDI3NDQ5NDtqOzE4NTI3OzIwNDg7MjcyOzI3Mg

1 Like