The story of Don the talking dog

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/27/the-story-of-don-the-talking-d.html

3 Likes

Sure dogs can talk. They just don’t have much to say.

20 Likes

OK, cue all the talking dog jokes.

“So Don, what’s it like being a dog?”

“Ruff!”

11 Likes

He wasn’t howling. He was saying, “Bruuuuuuuce!”

5 Likes

up%20dog%20love%20you

13 Likes

Don spoke German, or at least 8 words of it

That’s about all you get out of me too.

12 Likes

12 Likes

(Video is cued.)

3 Likes

I’ve had great conversations with every dog I’ve known.

7 Likes

Fer sure, me too. And they’re often such good listeners!

6 Likes

Pff, my dog can say “I love lasagna.”

1 Like

I think that’s what worries most owners of talking dogs, though…

2 Likes

4 Likes

FB_IMG_1524880621476

Well… here’s proof of German at least

2 Likes

I’ve dogsat for two different families, with two different breeds of dogs (Brown Lab & an Anatolian Shepherd) who both ‘moaned’ a LOT. The dogs were having whole conversations with me, but who knows what they tried to communicate. I tried and tried to teach the Lab to say ‘keine Ahnung’, which is (bad) German for ‘no idea’ *. I thought it would be hilarious to have a dog that could answer their owner when the owner was interrogating the dog:
Owner: “Who chewed up the paper?”
Dog: “Keine Ahnung.”
Owner: “Did you pee behind the couch?”
Dog: “Keine Ahnung.”

See how much fun that could be? The reason I chose that phrase is because both dogs already kinda sounded like they were saying it. Unfortunately, I was only around them for a week or so at a time, and was unable to refine their enunciation.

*Being a third generation American, the only other German I picked up from the superannuated relatives were ‘stinky cheese’, ‘snow’, and about 6 different words for ‘penis’.

3 Likes

“Keine Ahnung” is quite okay, especially in a non-formal setting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.