The story of the world's worst videogame

PaRappa was awesome and its upcoming remake looks great.

1 Like

All of the Mystique titles were godawful. Out of sheer curiosity (I was fascinated as a kid – they were $50 in 1982 money!) I found ROMs of them not long ago to play on MAME, and they’re just unplayable garbage. Good for a laugh, and then deletion.

I vividly remember gathering around the TV in the height of E.T. madness to see the game at my friend’s house. We all watched him fart around and bob his alien head a few times, then fall in a hole. That was an incredibly disappointing game.

4 Likes

I didn’t hate E.T. on the 2600 as much as I hated the movie. It was boring, true, but once I figured out that you should always leave a hole sideways rather than… Okay, I’m explaining that badly. You levitate upward to get out of the hole, and when you reach the top the screen changes to the surface view, and as long as you keep pushing upward you continue levitating and also moving north until you’re out of the hole… upon which you promptly fall back in because exiting the hole via its northern edge will always drop you back in. So once you levitate up enough for the screen to change, you gotta instantly float south or to the sides to exit the hole in a direction that won’t tumble you back in. Once you master that, the frustration’s gone and you can actually enjoy the game. Or at least finish it.

ROTLA was a harder game. The damn Well of the Souls puzzle was on something like a 10 minute timer, so the impatient were doomed.

7 Likes

That was in the extended cut. You not see it? It’s why they had to make the bikes fly. It all makes sense.

1 Like

I knew I liked you for a good reason.

3 Likes

“Custer’s Revenge” wasn’t impossible to win, you just had to be some kind of sick monster to WANT to.

4 Likes

Custer’s Revenge, tic-tac-toe, global thermonuclear war…The only winning move is not to play.

3 Likes

I LIKED that game!

I just remembered this one:

2 Likes

Anybody else remember MacPlaymate? Not sure if really classify that as a game, though.

1 Like

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.