The stunning book design behind the new Philip Dick collection

Originally published at: The stunning book design behind the new Philip Dick collection | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Good thing I’ve already got the Underwood-Miller set.

gahhh, that’s beautiful. not that i have $700+ to drop on such a thing, but i wonder how they get sold out so quickly? i wonder how so many people who are interested in such a thing and can afford about it hear about it in advance.

5 Likes

I’m sure the Folio Society has an email list of interested parties. Many of those probably went to libraries at museums and universities. I’m acquainted with a book artist whose volumes are often sold out by the time he finishes binding the first one. Only half of the buyers are individual people.

4 Likes

Half to institutions, the other to ebay.

Philip K Dick, head full of speed, trying to write pulp on a tight deadline, now in folio limited-edition codex.

3 Likes

Lightspeed time traveller

2 Likes

Wikipedia says that PKD actually wrote 121 short stories, so there’s either an interesting reason why three of them aren’t included in the collection, or else you can chalk it up to some Dick-like mindfuck that makes you question reality, which is the more likely case.

Just spray some Ubik on the complete set and the other 3 will appear. Use only as directed, Avoid prolonged use.

5 Likes

Just remember, short Dick is best Dick.

Do designers dream of electric colours?

4 Likes

Love PKD. But those editions…meh.

1 Like

I’m on their mailing list as a regular customer and got an announcement and link to order a couple of weeks ago. Sadly too much for my pocket, but I was VERY tempted.

1 Like

I loved the Vintage editions.

https://pkdickbooks.com/SFnovels/vintage.php

2 Likes

I like these a lot. It’s a very bold choice, one that you could easily hate, and at first I wasn’t sure if I like them but they’ve grown on me.

I have to decide what volumes from FS I do want. What’s funny is that I feel like I can’t justify spending that kind of money on a book I haven’t read, so it has to be a book I have read, but I can’t justify it for me then because I’ve already read it.

I think I could go with A Wizard of Earthsea for my daughter in a year or two. It looks gorgeous.

The last time I spent extra on a gorgeous edition was similarly for my kids, the Minalima version of Peter Pan, which has all sorts of fold-out additions like maps and spinny things.

It’s very swanky but there is so much chaff amongst the wheat of his short stories because, as pointed out up thread, he was pumping them out while on amphetamines. Though you buy something like this for the investment i suppose, with no real intention of reading them. The Dune editions are also particularly lovely.

1 Like

No need to worry! eBay’s got 'em… and if you’re willing to part with $1400-$1800!!

1 Like

As someone who has run the numbers on how many more books my floors can support, I’ve been opting for quality over quantity in recent years.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.