The Sudan "DEMO", a phantom landscape feature only found in Google Maps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/29/the-sudan-demo-a-phantom.html

4 Likes

Give it a few days. It will read, “LICENSED VERSION”.

26 Likes

Proof that the demo scene is world-wide!

9 Likes

Of course it is gone. That whole area was marked for demolition!

17 Likes

Category: Sub-Saharan Africa under 64KB

5 Likes

Google was just testing the Sudan, user feedback was positive and now it has been moved into general release.

14 Likes

So close to Towel Day. It is likely proof the answer is 42! And that we will never know the question :frowning:

8 Likes

Less ambitious maps have trap streets to foil plagiarists. Gmaps has trap plains!

6 Likes

Slartibartfast was just doing some proof of concepts before the Norway project

13 Likes

Well, Aliens, obviously. But does anybody know what “Demo” means in the languages spoken in South Sudan?

3 Likes

It could be that the rest of the sentence “Here there be DEMONS” was obscured. Possibly by demons.

11 Likes

What is interesting to me, is that they removed the word “DEMO” but apparently not the layer of map data to which it refers. I’m not sure whether that is hydrographic data, or some attempt at shading, or some kind of attempt at stegnagrophy. But it seems to still be there in the square area above the label (well, where the label was).

1 Like

Dinosaur map!? Sweet!

3 Likes

By the Vogon Construction Fleet.

5 Likes

Fjords in The Sudan? I suppose they could appear anywhere.

Nah, you are just seeing white mice.

I suppose when you get your hands on new equipment, you try it out on simple projects before going for more complex stuff.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.