The Sun is shrinking 5 feet per hour

Originally published at: The Sun is shrinking 5 feet per hour - Boing Boing

7 Likes

I feel its pain.

12 Likes

Freaking Out George Costanza GIF
Hey, the universe is very cold at the moment.

11 Likes

Regrettably, I have the opposite problem across the plane of my ecliptic :confused:

21 Likes

Same. Which is why I suck in my tummy and stand up straight before a picture. Sounds like about 100 years ago the sun noticed that Earthlings invented photography.

10 Likes

Perhaps “the sun’s diameter is shrinking by 5 feet per hour” or “the sun’s circumference is shrinking by about 16 feet per hour”

8 Likes

The numbers; they boggle my brain.

9 Likes

Probably not the cause, but wouldn’t you anticipate this? Turning hydrogen into helium is going to result in fewer molecules, after all.

4 Likes

When I saw my uncle one time in high school he was like, “You’re getting taller. I’m working on width, myself.”

8 Likes

It is the inevitable machinations of physics :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

4 Likes

“The Sun is shrinking 5 feet per hour”

conservative response: “No it isn’t.”

7 Likes

MAGA response, “Thanks, Biden!!!” :rage::rage::rage:

6 Likes

Interested GIF by reactionseditor

3 Likes

Oh no, Astrophage!!! Look fir a thin line in the IR band!!

6 Likes

In the very long run that actually makes stars bigger. As the hydrogen in the very center drops, it starts to contract, but that makes fusion possible in a wider shell around it. So the star as a whole expands and its outer layers cool, eventually becoming a subgiant and then red giant.

7 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

“… I won’t know what I think about that until I hear what Jesse Watters has to say about it” :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Only Ferro-lad’s sacrifice can save us from the Sun-eater!

5 Likes

This is a reference to the book “Hail Mary” by Andy Weir, the author of “The Martian”.

A Good Read and a great audio book.

2 Likes

It can’t be, I stare into the sun for hours everyday and it’s exactly the same size it always is. /s

3 Likes