The Supreme Court told Yeshiva University it had to allow LGBTQ+ club on campus, for now. So it just shut down all the clubs

It has both religious and secular education…

Also, since many private colleges and universities are Christian, and receive funding, NOT giving the same for schools founded by and for people of minority religions, you would implicitly be saying that the US is a Christian country. It’s not. The establishment clause just means that you don’t discriminate between religions.

10 Likes

ME TOO ME TOO ME TOO

I am a faith-based institution so laws don’t apply to me either, I can do whatever I want because God

16 Likes

Just a quick point of clarification, “recognition” isn’t an abstract concept, but would allow the club a right to funding and use of university facilities and resources. Events held by the club would be considered university events. All of which would, in the perception of Orthodox university leaders, be violations of halachic law. I’m not endorsing the behavior, just explaining that the impact is a bit bigger than just "oh we don’t want say there are GLBT people here.

It’s particularly egregious since all the articles are careful to point out this is an undergraduate club- Cardozo Law School at Yeshiva has a GLBT student organization. The law school itself has called out their parent institution: Statement on YU’s Request for a SCOTUS Stay on Pride Alliance Student Organization | Cardozo Law

Most of Yeshiva’s undergrad programming is in secular areas, while they do have a Jewish studies program, it doesn’t have particularly high enrollment (1.7%).

7 Likes

As long as they get federal funding, they have to abide by non-discrimination laws. Even if only a small percentage of their student body is secular. The same is true for any religious institutions that receives federal funds.

Being religious is no excuse for violating the law.

14 Likes

Which is what I said. Not sure why you felt the need to echo back to me my own words.

6 Likes

Umbridge

7 Likes

No point is ever valid until a dude says it; didn’t you know?

8 Likes

Especially education that goes against the Torah’s frequent reminder to not opress the stranger, for we were strangers in the land of Egypt.

3 Likes

Amazon Studios Greta GIF by Amazon Prime Video

5 Likes

“I’m still surprised that the conservative majority didn’t find some justification to just go ahead and bless the discrimination.”

I suspect the fact it was not a Christian university was all the justification that was needed.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.