The teaser trailer for Greta Gerwig's Barbie movie is impossibly good

I figure you mean a feature film… We’ve got 6 or 8 Barbie movies on our video shelf.

4 Likes

I’ll just posit that she’ll pull her stethoscope, scuba gear, briefcase, teacher’s supplies, beekeeping hood, Mountie hat, and/or spacesuit out of hammer-space, and no one can tell me otherwise.

3 Likes

will the real moderator parlease stand up…

ticking my not extra special…

Pretty great casting of Barbie and Ken.

When I try to explain to younglings just how improper it was to have a moustache in the U.S. in the 1970s and '80s, I show them this 30sec ad:

Unrelated but obligatory:

5 Likes

Are you kidding? The 70s and 80s were probably peak mustache culture in the United States. Tom Selleck, Burt Reynolds, Alex Trebeck, Sam Elliot, Wilford Brimley, Frank Zappa, Freddie Mercury, Hulk Hogan and countless others all sported famous ’staches during those decades.

8 Likes

Also, wasn’t Toy Story 3 really the story of Barbie and Ken?

Not to mention the follow-up short they did:

5 Likes

The CG animated series Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse definitely had its moments.

3 Likes

Okay, that was so much better than anything I would have imagined.

Whatever the actual movie is going to be like otherwise, I now firmly believe it will be good.

3 Likes

I mean… Greta Gerwig is fabulous as a director! How could it not be great!

6 Likes

They made her look exactly like the original Barbie. That was AWESOME!

1 Like

This show is quite legit. Dreamhouse Adventures tried to borrow a bit of the slapstick in later seasons, but it remained a bit too earnest to pull it off.

We have a regular rotation of the soundtracks from some of these on our car playlists. I will admit that even after my girls moved on to other obsessions, I snuck a handful of choice Barbie Spy Squad, Barbie: Video Game Hero and Barbie and the Secret Door tracks onto my personal playlist…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.