The teaser trailer for Greta Gerwig's Barbie movie is impossibly good

Originally published at: The teaser trailer for Greta Gerwig's Barbie movie is impossibly good | Boing Boing

10 Likes

I agree… this looks legit good! I was wondered how they were going to make a good movie out of Barbie, but leave it to Gerwig to figure that shit out!

I bet some dudes will hate it just cause, though… Because that train’s never late…

chris-rock-train-never-late

16 Likes

Barbie doll to become anthropomorphic for a couple of days. Over the course of the ensuing 90 minutes, Barbie has a few comedic mishaps that involve her attempting to occupy every profession she had as a doll. Then she falls in love with a human, coincidentally named Ken, and learns what it means to be alive before she tearfully becomes a toy again.

Call her Cinderella and you might just have something there!

6 Likes

It truly is bizarre it didn’t happen, Hollywood plugged in every other concievable character through the that 80s template of _____ encounters American culture, finds it strange and enchanting and in coming to love it, warms the hearts of cynical Americans:

extraterrestrial
mermaid
person from Australia
robot
dinosaur
person from England
caveman
historical figure
person from Africa
sasquatch
mannequin
child who has magically become an adult
sentient spaceship
person from China
sentient computer
etc…

Wonder Woman ran this play and was very awesome and fun. strange that WW 1984 missed the mark, maybe it was too on the nose?

throw in that barbie leads a fashion show that saves the rec center from a Trump-like and you’ve got a royal flush

8 Likes

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

3 Likes

I have no idea what this is going to be and I am 2001% here for it

19 Likes

Subtle, wasn’t it?

15 Likes

Yep, this is going to be fun.
Who doesn’t like fun?

don’t answer that

8 Likes

It will be cool if Barbie does have access to her skills from here many careers; making her super competent.

8 Likes

Some speculation on what the plot’s gonna be…

7 Likes

I like the 2001 homage.

The short snippets at the end look like we are in the Aqua video for 90 minutes. Which honestly, I’d be fine with.

12 Likes

A look now recreated by Electric Callboy :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

You could say it was really beating me over the head with it

9 Likes

I’ve seen this video! I liked it!

3 Likes

Wasn’t this basically the outcome in Weird Science?

5 Likes

Well no… because one is not about the gross objectification of women and one is… I’ll leave you to figure out which is which…

7 Likes

If the film is half as good as that teaser… really though, i love it.

4 Likes

But really she only has accessories from her many careers. So you can bet she’ll have access to all of those.

2 Likes

It’s going to be hard to top the depiction of Barbie from Toy Story 3.

barbie-toy-story-3

10 Likes

Looks like they also took more than a little visual inspiration from Oliver Tree for that video.

5 Likes