The time Joe Manchin’s uncle tried to ban Garbage Pail Kids

Originally published at: The time Joe Manchin's uncle tried to ban Garbage Pail Kids | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Art Spiegelman of Maus fame was one of the creators of the Garbage Pail Kids. So he’s censored every which way he turns. I’m sure he thus believes he must be doing something right.

11 Likes

He would have been in his late 30s when they were popular…

9 Likes

Why should anyone care what the state treasurer disapproves of unless it’s pertains to fiscal issues? I don’t particularly care for avocados, but if I’m called upon to speak from my position as an IT Technician, I’d be doing a serious disservice to anyone if I brought that up.

And yet, I’m sure he wouldn’t have gotten any of the cards, even if he’d wanted them, since a family member disapproved.

5 Likes

He was the editor, in fact based on his success with the Wacky Packages run years earlier.

Topps published a collection of Series 1 (and maybe 2?) years ago. I’m not a book “collector”, but like to keep my books in decent shape. Well, as a testament to how enduring their appeal is to all generations, my kids have assured that my copy is no longer “decent” (if it ever was!).

Also, the images shown and the cases on the counter are clearly from Series 3. Freaking conservatives always swoop in to be outraged about things that kids knew about years ago.

6 Likes

I don’t think he’d understand the humor of the cards…

4 Likes

Absolutely disgusting! How dare they show a child smoking?! #tooearlytodiscussguncontrol

3 Likes

“We care a lot about the Garbage Pail Kids, they never lie.”

3 Likes

Considering that the bullet is hitting the cigarillo, you could argue that this sticker is ANTI-smoking

2 Likes

I loved garbage pail kids(!), but hear me out,

there is a totally valid reason to ban them:

Once stuck on something, those things were darn near impossible to completely remove!!

…I probably still have pieces of adhesive & paper under my nails from being forced to scratch Bony Tony off of the time out corner wall :smirk:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.