The Toadman of Clawson, Michigan

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/28/the-toadman-of-clawson-michig.html

4 Likes

This post could have toadly used a jump.

6 Likes

Do you remember what it’s like to love something the way this dude loves toads? It’s easy to get bitter at everything. I want to remember.

Also: in before the obligatory Futurama references.

11 Likes

Is that a “Wet Sprocket” I see in the background of the second picture?

5 Likes

A little bit silly perhaps, but toads are incredibly amiable creatures!

We have a lot at our house – just common green toads, whatever they are – and they like to hang out at night and sit outside the door or under the windows; the light attracts the bugs, which attract the toads… my favorite one (that I haven’t seen in a year or two (don’t know a toad’s lifespan)) used to just sit outside our kitchen door and watch us eat dinner, while it would eat it’s dinner (if lucky).

When I sit outside at night they often just kind of hop up to me and look at me. Giving me, I suppose, the toad version of “Hey, what’s up?”

We did almost have a toad disaster this year, unfortunately. My kids got a lot of fountains/roman candles on July 4th; I guess the toads saw the bright lights and though “dinner!” While 2 or 3 rushed the candle, fortunately none got burnt (but it was close!).

2 Likes

Sound like Toadman could use some help.

4 Likes

My niece is always texting pics of the toads outside of her place… I guess that they can live quite a long time. In the drier months of summer my mom used to sink bowls of water into her flower gardens so that her toads “could get a drink”.
Here are a few:

7 Likes

One of the pictures indicates that the Toadman was watching news concerning the two greatest presidential candidates in American history. But I wonder if Donald Trump’s “Drain the swamp” rhetoric turned him off. If so, I couldn’t blame the Toadman. After all, the swamp is where tadpoles live. How can you drain that in good conscience?

Drain the Swamp

3 Likes

Very cool pictures.

For some reason I’ve never been able to figure out, some people have a visceral aversion to toads (one co-worker I told about the toads around our house visibly winced). But they are incredibly cool (and cool looking) animals.

2 Likes

Perhaps because the pee on ya when you pick them up?

3 Likes

Then don’t pick them up!

(Apparently they taste awful when you pick them up in your mouth, too. I have three dogs who aren’t known for learning not to bother small animals, but they totally leave the toads alone at this point.)

3 Likes

Another shot of the one in the tree crook…

I was wondering if the dog was after it, but my niece said that the dog has no interest in them, but was curious about what my niece was up to…

4 Likes

They say dogs never learn not to bother skunks (don’t know if that’s true, but I can believe it).

But toads? I had a dachshund once whom I saw pick one up in her mouth. She spent the next 10 minutes foaming at the mouth like some Looney Tunes caricature of a rabid dog. Seriously!

Never again did she bother a toad.

1 Like

I always heard that when it comes to skunks and porcupines, there are two types of dogs – those who learn their lesson and those who want to get even…
I’ve seen the progression with porcupines… A few quills the first time; a handful the next time; and holy shit WTF the third.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.