Watch these horny toads take a "ride" on a python

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/02/watch-these-horny-toads-take-a.html

3 Likes

They’re not typically expressive, but you can see the horror in the snake’s face. "If only I had limbs with which to knock these damned things off. Curse you evolution!’

7 Likes

Watch these horny toads take a “ride” on a python

I like the use of quotation marks there @Carla_Sinclair :smile:

3 Likes

Yet another example to show those “but its unnatural!!!” homophobes. Nature is one weird mofo.

2 Likes

“That was an OPTION?” —Frogger

11 Likes

Where “Ride the Snake” lacks the connotation of doing heavy drugs.

3 Likes

Because this wasn’t weird enough, throw in the whole ‘mating’ angle… next-level WTF.

2 Likes

My anaconda don’t want none unless you got buns hon.

10 Likes

I wonder if the poisonous slime these toads exude has any effect on the snake? I hear it’s quite a high, right before you wretch and die.

1 Like

Ride the Snake

1 Like

That’s some weird shit.

3 Likes

I’m under the impression this is common toad mating behavior-- years ago a friend sent me a photo he took of toads near his house who seemed to all emerge from the soil at the same time and were having an amphibian orgy of sorts, including some (ahem) daisy-chain-esque threesomes and foursomes.

1 Like

So… you’re a horny toad. You have two choices. Ride on the python. Or ride through the python. Hmmm. What to do? How to decide?

4 Likes

#memememememememetoo

The thing to remember is that frogs and toads don’t actually copulate, they perform a form of external fertilization called amplexus. In brief, a male clings to a female’s back while she does all the hard work of hopping to an adequate body of water. Once she finds a good spot, she gets into the water and squirts out a glob of eggs, whereupon he sprays semen over them.

The thing about external fertilization is that any nearby male toad can, in theory, succeed in fertilizing some of a female’s eggs. So it pays, in evolutionary terms, for male toads to be a bit indiscriminate – if they can’t find a girl toad all their own, they will happily cling to another, larger boy toad. As long as they’re reasonably close to a girl toad at the critical moment, then they’ve got a chance to fertilize some of her eggs.

When the rainy season begins and you get massive toad orgies, it’s even possible for confused male toads to end up clinging to a vaguely similar non-toad creature, like the snake in the photo.

5 Likes

it may be turtles all the way down but on top it will be all pythons and cane toads.

1 Like

They’re just good friends. Totally platonic.

7 Likes

In other words, non consensual.

1 Like

One possible explanation for the popularity of “Pepe The Frog” in certain quarters.

“Feels good man!”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.