The trailer for Barbarian looks unsettling

Originally published at: The trailer for Barbarian looks unsettling | Boing Boing

2 Likes

By Crom and Mitra, verily I wouldst poopeth my mighty loin cloth if I watched this.

6 Likes

I have no idea what is going on there.

4 Likes

Oh, Barbarian, not The Barbarians…

4 Likes
2 Likes

Hereditary (happy to see it on your list) is one of the very few “hermetic dark house” (my term) horror films that have truly unsettled me (read: worth a re-watch), and I’ve found roughly similar horror films to be rather tepid… and jump-scare flicks are silly and aren’t worth my time. What works for me now is “folk horror”. Midsommer; The Lighthouse; and The Witch. Those left me with a very nasty resonance, i.e., they worked.

FYI: We need to re-watch The Babadook. Initially very promising, it seemed somewhat uneven (if you know what I mean) on first watch. We’ll watch again with new eyes. We recently got Lamb (starring Noomi Rapace)… had to order direct from A24. We’ll watch anything that features Noomi, and the Rolling Stone review (the only one this household takes seriously) sold us: “It’s the sweetest, most touching waking nightmare you’ve ever experienced.” How many horror films can say that? Right up our alley.

4 Likes

What’d you think of It Follows? I wholly agree with your assessment of the other movies that you mention.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed Lamb (and the Witch), Hereditary had too much supernatural/religious stuff for me but was outstanding until right at the very end (so why didn’t I feel this about the Witch? Because to me it was a tragedy about a girl becoming unhinged in a terrible fundamentalist situation). It was really quite something. Those vignettes… Also Colin Stetson soundtrack (see him live if you ever get a chance).

I have lately come to realise that I love horror after years of complete lack of interest in it. But pretty much only domestic horror (Shirley Jackson say) or folk horror. To that end might I recommend the biopic of Shirley Jackson with Elizabeth Moss (I’ll watch most anything with her in it) and a French Afghan war folk horror called The Wakhan Front just because it’s a genre of one. It may have a different title in different regions (the original is something like “neither the sky nor the ground”)

2 Likes

Given the above, my answer to what’s below is this: Haven’t seen it yet… but I will now!

1 Like

I’ll check out your recommendations!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.