The Trapper Keeper, 1978

I had that exact one. I used them all though 2 or 3 though 12 but I think that was one of my later high school ones.

I still have a piece of cardboard that came out of one, on which a boy I liked drew a picture of a rabbit pooka. It might actually be from this one.

I am vaguely aware that certain school supplies were cool when I was in school in the 90’s, but I don’t remember participating. I was so uncool that I didn’t even know what was cool. Or maybe that made me the coolest of all.

I do remember even as a kid not liking most typical school supplies. They’re just so uninspired and tacky and don’t feel nice in the hand. Even the most basic of items are always unexciting, and my preference for nicer writing implements in particular started at a young age. I especially didn’t like the marbled-cover composition notebooks, but cheap spiral-bound notebooks were only marginally better. Trapper Keepers were around and I think my older sister had them, but I didn’t like them.

Either we went to the same elementary school at about the same time, or it was a regional thing to ban them! All the cool kids still had them, though, although I still can’t figure out:

1. what they did with them if they didn’t bring them to school? Did they lovingly transfer their homework into them between the hours of 3 PM and 8 PM, and put their math problems and spelling lists back under the plain covers of their regular binders before going to bed?

and

1. how the rest of us knew that they even had Trapper Keepers.

After at least a full year of nagging, my mom finally bought me one, and it did not live up to my expectations, nor did it make me cool.

Why were they banned? Were they, like, too practical or something? Hard to believe they would have caused much distraction for the coolness factor. By Week 2, nobody’s school supplies are particularly interesting.

I would love to know! This same school banned non-matching shoelaces, so I think there was a bit of a conformity thing going on.

As I recall, I used Trapper Keepers in elementary school (early 80s), and switched to Peechee folders in high school.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.