The Traveler is a hyperrealistic sculpture of a jetlagged felow at the Orlando airport

Originally published at: The Traveler is a hyperrealistic sculpture of a jetlagged felow at the Orlando airport | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I feel I have seen that but I’m not sure it’s a false memory. Because, in my memory, it wasn’t behind glass. And I was last in Orlando airport in July 1989, which was a while ago, now. Though I also remember that, for some crazy reason or other, my brother bought a mountain bike in an Orlando bike store. Crazy because our family home was in the north of England and we had to transport the bike in the back of my dad’s saloon (sedan) along with me and my brother.
I also remember that the dude in the bike shop was a big Smiths fan and, on hearing my northern English accent, asked me what new records from Britain he should be checking out. I recommended The Stone Roses’ debut album.

7 Likes

Can’t help but notice the traveler is from Canada (YYZ routing tag on the luggage is for Toronto’s Pearson airport). :canada:

6 Likes

I hope it’s 20% larger than normal. Enough to look weird, but not so much that its really obvious what’s wrong.

5 Likes

The Traveler is beloved by MCO frequent fliers. The MCO Twitter shares memes featuring it often and someone dressed up as The Traveler for Halloween.

4 Likes

Oh, they’re 100% life-size. I’d been to a Duane Hanson exhibit way back in 1976, and got fooled by a janitor sculpture they’d stashed back by the restrooms at Wichita State University’s Ulrich Museum of Art.

5 Likes

tumblr_mwete6C5rp1qewsw4o1_500

3 Likes

I’m surprised that some security entity hasn’t shot it dead for refusing to follow instructions to move along. #America

If it were a BIPOC it would have been guaranteed.

If you want hyperrealism playing with scale, try Ron Mueck.

5 Likes

Came to say this. Thank you!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Ha, yup. That one got me too, a long time ago. I wonder if it’s also getting this guy:

Seems that Hanson didn’t build his works in a way that was meant to last (which is probably why the airport one is behind glass).

This is an interesting article on restoring The Janitor.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.