The true story of Notpetya: a Russian cyberweapon that escaped and did $10B in worldwide damage

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/22/andy-greenberg.html

1 Like

“I’m sorry sir, but that item will have to be checked-in…”

3 Likes

I puckered some very personal areas when reading that. My biggest terror is loss of all my database backups; stuff like this must be what reading about someone having spiders hatch out of their face is like for arachnophobes.

3 Likes

Within hours of its first appearance, the worm raced beyond Ukraine and out to countless machines around the world, from hospitals in Pennsylvania to a chocolate factory in Tasmania. It ­crippled multinational companies including Maersk, pharmaceutical giant Merck, FedEx’s European subsidiary TNT Express, French construction company Saint-Gobain, food producer Mondelēz, and manufacturer Reckitt Benckiser. In each case, it inflicted nine-figure costs.

This is a bit of an understatement. A company my father works for (a US based subsidiary of Saint Gobain) was shut down for weeks causing like 90% of the workers to stay home during that time because of the freaking ruskies. There was literal panic in the building when things went haywire. Personally, I think the 384 million they lost was a low ball estimate.

4 Likes

This arachnophobe… does not thank you for putting that image in my mind.

2 Likes

It’s like being a mommy, but for nightmares!

4 Likes

Well, you couldn’t let just anyone into the country - even if the world’s economy is at stake.

We have a target to reduce net migration to the tens of thousands after all.

/s

3 Likes

NotPetya was propelled by two powerful hacker exploits working in tandem: One was a penetration tool known as EternalBlue, created by the US National Security Agency but leaked in a disastrous breach of the agency’s ultrasecret files earlier in 2017. EternalBlue takes advantage of a vulnerability in a particular Windows protocol, allowing hackers free rein to remotely run their own code on any unpatched machine.

I will never understand why anyone would run Windows on a sensitive system. MS makes a very good ecosystem for office computing with their productivity, mail, file sharing, and similar offerings but security has never been their forte. And by the way, how many SMB implementation flaws are we going to see before it’s abandoned?

Saved by a sneaker net. Sometimes the old school just gets shit done.

1 Like

Yet more anti-russian cyber BS !

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.