The Trunk (Video) Files

5 Likes

Great chart. Topical here, at a time when Boris the Criminal seems ready to announce a return to Imperial measurements here (during the Jubilee) as a return to British values and a great Brexit benefit.

Shaftment was new to me, but it seems to be about 6 inches so hardly large enough to properly shaft the sort of person who needs it these days (i.e. Boris, who needs shafting with a six foot sharpened stake).

2 Likes
2 Likes

Its wasy to remember that 1 chain x 1 furlong = 1 acre. Duh.

2 Likes

Allotments were measured in ancient size units. From various sources:

Allotments are sensibly measured using an Anglo-Saxon system. Ten rods (or perches or poles) is the accepted size – 250sq metres in 21st-century language, or about the size of a doubles tennis court.

And

An allotment plot is normally 10 poles. 10 poles are 302.5 square yards. One pole is an area 5.5 yards’ x 5.5 yards. This gives 160 poles to one acre, which is 16 plots of ten poles each to the acre.

That chart omits chains - but includes links - and says a link is a 25th of a rod, pole, or perch. Yet those are described above in respect of allotments, as measurements of area, not length! Looks a bit like an imperial anomaly to me, but in length terms a rod (pole, perch) is 5.5 yards, being one quarter of a chain, or 25 links, there being 100 links in a chain.

As Wikipedia says:

The chain is a unit of length equal to 66 feet (22 yards). It is subdivided into 100 links[1][2] or 4 rods. There are 10 chains in a furlong, and 80 chains in one statute mile.[2] In metric terms, it is 20.1168 m long.[2]

BTW a cricket pitch is one chain (22 yards) between the stumps. That has not changed, but allotments are now (almost?) universally 250 sq.m for a full plot.

1 Like

Some darts and some swearing (scroll down to get to the video)

ABBA at the height of their fame were not above adapting their art for commercial purposes:

You want the lyrics changed for an advert? No problem! Sing it in front of a sign? No problem! Prat about on bikes and stuff? No problem!

On the occasion of Barry Cryer’s death, Jonny reminded us that Barry wrote much of the Kenny Everett Show.
Here’s Kenny with Rod Stewart and later with Freddie Mercury. (Looks like it was all edited - badly - from a compilation Kenny Everett tribute show.)

A while back Jonny turned up this. Charlie Bubbles. An odd film with no real discernable plot, it seem to be about the way a famous and successful author has lost his way - not quite full-blown angst and existential questioning, but going in that direction.

Made by -and starring - Albert Finney it also has a handful of other very well-known British film and TV actors. It also features a young Liza Minnelli as his assistant in her first cinema role (she’d done a TV film and TV programme previously) four years before Cabaret.

Despite the lack of plot or action it is strangely compelling and the ending a very symbolic but stark contrast with the rest.

The restaurant scene with Colin Blakely is a gem.

Whoever posted it to YT got the title wrong. His name is Charlie Bubbles, not Charlie Bubble.

Well, not much here seems to have attracted much attention or excitement, so I’ll stop. For those few who may find Jonny’s quirky video finds of interest, or who are interested in musical oddities, I suggest going to his record label shop website https://trunkrecords.greedbag.com/ or just sign up for his weekly email here https://trunkrecords.greedbag.com/subscribe/

Toodle-pip. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.