The U.S. Air Force chose these 6 candidate locations to host the U.S. Space Command headquarters

It was a PR stunt to satisfy competing resources. A shared office is all.

And uniforms.

3 Likes

Then why not let Biden take Trump’s publicity stunt, and take credit for turning it into an actual competent and well-staffed separate branch of the military that’s prepared for what’s to come? Odds are high that the Space Command would’ve been split off into its own separate branch in the future for practicality sake, anyway; I think that now, when we have crewed rockets like Dragon taking off to the ISS once again, is the time to start planning ahead.

(Yes, I know the answers are political.)

Why not Orlando? Not only is it close to Canaveral, but it’s going to fit right in at Walt Disney World.

5 Likes

They already have the 310th and 50th Space Wings operating out of Schriever AFB near Colorado Springs so Peterson which is right down the road makes sense. I have a couple of buddies there who fly satellites from there. I try to press them for juicy stories but they value their Top Secret clearances very highly.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call the Kirtland museum “pro-nuclear war” any more than any other military museum is “pro-war”. KAFB, being located in NM with Los Alamos, Sandia Labs and a few other things is however a central location of that element of the US side of the cold war. They were also home to B-36s (and at least one very dramatic B36-enabled accident).

Whether you see it as a temple of humanity’s horrors or of technology and achievement, it’s worth a visit. And it’s not on the base - it’s just near it. It used to be on base but now it’s offsite and totally open to the public.

And on topic, WTF? We already had the USAF Space Command. How do you remove a branch of the military?

2 Likes

This. I’m no expert, but with the end of the Cold War, the Air Force’s primary mission was drastically downsized. Part of its new mission was space. Creating a separate branch is just a bureaucratic waste of money. It will only create new rivalries, new redundancies, massive new spending. It’s a dumb idea, create by our dumbest President so he can have an “achievement” to point to.

I’m a huge space buff, and the son of an Air Force officer. But Space Force as a separate branch is unnecessary bloat. I hope Biden stifles it a-borning.

10 Likes

They need to choose some wooded location where their camouflage will be most effective.

3 Likes

Hope they are training to deal with attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion…

7 Likes

This is embarrassing. No one’s going to take us seriously if Space Command is on Earth.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Either one would still require some latrine duty.

3 Likes

Steve Carrell is already in Colorado on a show that hasn’t been cancelled yet.

2 Likes

Huh, well Offutt is co-located at the same goddamned city, Omaha that is, where the goddamned StratCom still exists. Incidentally, there is a routine demonstration in Omaha—held annually, at a minimum—to protest the very existence of nuclear weapons.

2 Likes

It’s a tough call, but I think I’d prefer latrine duty somewhere with gravity.

4 Likes

A bit retro, perhaps. Some of the guys at Peenemünde were strutting around in garbs like that.

5 Likes

How did we get this far down and not refer to the history of the one true Space Force uniform?

7 Likes

You can go back further than that for precedents. Before AFSC there was SAMSO based in, of all places, Los Angeles. That goes back to at least 1960. I worked for them in the early 1970s. All were doing various pieces of the same job or at least all of the pieces that existed at the time and were constantly being added.

1 Like

It (at one time) was the same situation in the US Navy. They wore blue camouflage uniforms.

3 Likes

Oh come one! What about:

• Area 51
  • The far side of the moon
  • One of the Earth-Luna Lagrange points
  • That weird cigar-shaped comet thing everyone thought could be aliens
4 Likes

No ambition. If they were worth their salt their salt they’d be in orbit.

2 Likes