The Ukraine War is speeding up US Space Force plans to establish galactic armed conflict policies

Originally published at: The Ukraine War is speeding up US Space Force plans to establish galactic armed conflict policies | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Star Trek Sigh GIF by Paramount+

3 Likes

I have a simple idea. Let’s not target space assets.

A kessler effect threatens all of our modern lives.

This should be something should be worked out at the UN.

4 Likes

I imagine that’s the kind of policy that’s easier to stand by when space assets aren’t actively targeting you.

8 Likes

I wish it were that simple… As @Brainspore noted, it really isn’t. It’s not only elements in our own government who wish to weaponize space, it’s elements in other governments with space programs as well - not to mention private contractors who would materially benefit from such programs. It’s much easier said than done to wind down these sorts of programs that are already in the process of happening…

I wish we could just flip a switch and end the weaponization of space, but sadly, it really goes back to the origins of the space program, which was not just about exploration, but about building out the military infrastructure of both the US and Soviet union…

But yeah, getting the UN on this (as I’m sure they probably already are, since they’re the UN), would be great.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.