The "uncanny valley" effect might be a learned behavior

I wonder if future designers of the USS Enterprise-D computer thought this way, and that is why the computer frequently answers commands with beeps instead of conversationally, and is often purposefully stupid (like it’s asking of temperature for drinks).

2 Likes

Apologies for pedantry, but I think you mean solar orbit or circumnavigation. A solar cycle is something a bit longer.

4 Likes

I do hope you mean the robots.

Exterminate!!!

1 Like

I’ll take two. One with the conversation chip enabled, the other without, and with a restraining bolt.

Seriously though, the world will be an even creepier place when this becomes a real option. There will be celebrities happy to be the model for the Fun-Bots, others horrified at the thought already, and once they put shiny, smiley humanoid faces on the Kill-Bots, well damn, it’s all over for us then…

I’m not worried if the uncanny valley-vibe is learned or innate; the younger it kicks in the better for us all!!

“Your plastic pal who’s fun to be with!”

1 Like

Young children draw adults as triangles. Compared to that, any vaguely human-shaped robot is a dead ringer. We have to develop a sufficiently complex model of what a person (or animal) is before obtaining a sense for when a simulacrum isn’t quite right. By that formulation, the uncanny valley effect isn’t learned but would be a consequence of emerging sophistication.

1 Like

Fake news. That poll included Trump voters. Sad.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.