The Unofficial Apple Weblog returns as plagiarized hyperslop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/11/the-unofficial-apple-weblog-returns-as-plagiarized-hyperslop.html

5 Likes

I like the term “hyperslop” to refer to AI content that systematically confuses reality with things posed as reality (AI content that merely tries to achieve realism is also hyperreal, but interesting mostly for its failure aesthetics).

…suppose it depends on the weighting any particular ‘A.I.’ gives to the latest digested material relative to its original training set as to any “hyperslop” doom spiral. Yet one can guess at the worth of a closed loop A.I.-(non)human-centipede continuously modifying their neural networks based on their own re-re-regurgitated outflow. (“probably a decent model of the current news media right there”). Probably need yet another catchy acronym for: novel information starvation.

2 Likes

Bragging posts?

2 Likes

It will be remarkable the day i awaken in my retirement pod, “oh look, they brought the BBS back, and all the greats are here! They even let papasan back in” [takes a gulp of Victory gin] “doesn’t bother me at all, i hardly even see the AI anymore!”

7 Likes

“Plagiarized hyperslop” is the name of my new rock band AI-generated hyperpop project.

5 Likes

The term “dog$hit tesseract” is making me giggle as well- excellent bandname.

5 Likes

Whence macosrumors? Man I loved that site back in the day.

3 Likes

Crankin out wat?

1 Like

… I’ll believe it when they blacklist Pinterest :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Related: Nathan Sadowski’s term “Habsburg AI”.

a system that is so heavily trained on the outputs of other generative AI’s that it becomes an inbred mutant, likely with exaggerated, grotesque features. It joins the lineage of Potemkin AI.

It is fitting in an almost gothic way that aspiring aristocrats who create zombies (i.e. private equity executives) are responsible for these digital equivalents of Charles II of Spain.

4 Likes

I strongly suspect they are losing the war. Perhaps as a stop gap they could help fund libel lawsuits for the non-authors that the undead web sites are pretending the new articles are written by. (or whatever the appropriate statutes are, I don’t see how it would be copyright, but intellectual property and branding has lots of weird little corners)

I mean if you can’t make it less technically effective you can make it less finically effective…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.