Zombified tech blog publishing AI articles under real names of former authors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/14/zombified-tech-blog-publishing-ai-articles-under-real-names-of-former-authors.html

4 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

9 Likes

Damn, the one time you want an ad for some AI bullshit to be on the front page of Boing Boing…

6 Likes

Contributed by Natalie Dressed

Ah, here we go, just had to wait a little while for another shipment of plagarized hyperslop to show up.

2 Likes

I have a noob-type question. Please pardon my ignorance.

Sometimes (especially lately) on BoingBoing, I see posts that - unbelievably - promote AI tools. Every time, I’m surprised and disappointed that BoingBoing would present these tools favorably. At the very least, it strikes me as not knowing the audience: Maybe naively, I imagine that most BoingBoing readers are like myself and have all kinds of problems with the fact that these tools are being adopted so widely before regulations or other systems are put in place to ensure that they are used ethically… and hate the fact that AI companies get away with IP practices that are sketchy at best.

Whenever I see one of these posts on BoingBoing (“Say goodbye to boring stock images….”, “Automate the job-hunting process with this AI-powered tool…”, “Supermusic AI helps turn your musical thoughts into tangible, full-length songs”…), I click on “Comments” to see whether any other readers share my disappointment… and there is never a BBS thread about those posts.

Is there a way to generate a BBS thread about those posts? Is it just a matter of hitting “+ New Topic” and ensuring that the title matches the post title?

Or is the lack of a comments thread intentional by BoingBoing’s owners/staff/admins? (… which would be unsurprising but even more disappointing). Apologies if this seems too conspiracy-theory-ish. (I realize I could probably have just tried myself to create a New Topic about one of these posts, but I was afraid it might violate the rules/process. Online communities have their ways of doing things, and no one wants to be the disrespectful bull-in-a-China-shop type).

… if you see an AI product you’d like to discuss, you post a link in “You can call me AI”

Back when there was a comment section for every Boing Boing Shop article, the comments were not perceived as … creating additional value for the advertisers :money_with_wings:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.