The unseen archives of Douglas Adams

Originally published at: The unseen archives of Douglas Adams | Boing Boing

7 Likes

we love and miss you, Douglas.
that is all.

12 Likes

Why would anything by Doug need crowd funding to get it off the ground?

1 Like

it’s the publisher’s business model. Perhaps it leads to more equitable advances and/or royalties.

2 Likes

I hope that this is a successful project but in the case of similar publications of unfinished, previously unpublished works by famous authors it usually turns out to be a bit of a letdown. Generally speaking, works that were ready or nearly ready to publish don’t languish for years if there’s a high demand for work from that author. And in Adams’ case, he had a bit of an ADHD-style in his writings that worked brilliantly in the way he strung the distracted, apparently unrelated story bits together coherently, but might be a mess if it’s just a bunch of undeveloped pieces.

But at the very least maybe this will provide interesting insight into his creative process.

4 Likes

A tad more info re that further down this article (though admittedly not much):

I suspect it is not a standard corporate publishing house here because the content comes from some academically held archives and the family and an editor are involved. Perhaps they did not want to have to produce a fully finished draft and then have it torn to pieces and rehashed by one of those corporate publishers who seek only to maximise profit. (Pure speculation on my part.)

1 Like
1 Like

I cannot wait to read this.

I met him at a lunchtime signing for So Long… in Kingston Blackwells in 1984. He had a Mac with him (original 128k I think?), and once he’d finished signing I got the pleasure of playing the Guide game for an hour, with him giving me hints. A true gent and much missed.

@RickMycroft : writers block no doubt explained a favourite expression of his: “I love deadlines. I like the whooshing noise they make as they fly by”

3 Likes

Well, I have the previous collection of bits and bobs from 2002, The Salmon of Doubt. I remember being slightly disappointed. Things that could have been, but never was. No doubt interesting from a scholarly angle, but not really fun for the general public.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.