Kickstarting a new life for out-of-print sf classics

[Permalink]

3 Likes

I never can go to sleep without having something to read first. You think they’d have anything?

It sounds great, and if Kickstarter had a paypal option, I might have even contributed (I don’t have a credit card)…

But unless I’m missing something, when I looked closer, it doesn’t seem to live up to the hype.

I looked at the site and still can’t find the free or low-cost ebooks. Well, arguably, $5.99 (the price for every single book I could see, save one that was $.99 and the title included “part one”) is cheap, but I see plenty of newer ebooks less than that on amazon (and I could likely find them in paperback, or ones of similar quality, at a used bookstore for even less). Or if you go the “subscription” route and want to drop $25 to get multiple books, you could certainly consider it cheap at that price. Still haven’t found one free one (free with a paid subscription is not free).

I’m going to assume the money they raise from selling the ebooks (that doesn’t go back to the authors estates since I presume some of these are just ‘right to publish’ rather than full on rights), at least goes right back into buying more rights/covering other costs rather than just trying to raise a profit, but even so, it seems less of a noble endeavor than I thought it was.

I’d love to support a program like this that buys the copyright of classic books outright and then releases them under CC-commons (or outright public domain) for anybody to read, use, build derivative works off of, etc.

1 Like

I was puzzled to see O’Neill’s “Land Under England” on the list of “lost, brilliant science fiction classics”, when the NEL edition from 1978 and the Penguin edition from 1987 are still in circulation.

There seems to be some overlap / competition with the Radium Age series from HiLo books (Odie’s “The Clockwork Man”, Jaeger’s “Man with Six Senses”).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.