The US Department of Justice has officially begun to un-naturalize citizens

I recall one suggestion/opinion (sometime in 2016) that claimed the Trump presidency would actually be a good thing, because Congress would finally assert its own authority and rein in the Obama-era (but presumably not Bush II-era) excesses and overreaches of the Executive Branch and restore the balance of powers.

I haven’t asked “how’d that work out for ya?” as I am no longer on Facebook.

18 Likes

I have a scanned copy of my grandparents’ Einheitsfamilienstammbuch, which was essentially a family tree the Nazis required everyone to assemble in Germany. It has these great[!?] essays on racial hygiene and responsibilities to the homeland. You had to go back to the great-great grandparents to show purity (or lack thereof, as the case was).
What’s especially crazy is that my mom was born after they fled to this country, and yet they still wrote her details into the book like good citizens.

9 Likes

Unless that is us at the ballot box, there is no systemic checks left on him. I know there are those here who find “Vote Blue No Matter Who” offensive, but the fact is if by some heinous act from the sulphurous realm Bloomberg gets the nod, I will hold my nose, vote for him then go home and shower. It is a matter of survival now. Nothing less.

16 Likes

deamemily

4 Likes

I remember that…this was specifically so that the Canadian governement didn’t have to support (mostly brown) citizens living abroad. It was clear racism.

1 Like

Hey Melanie, show us that long form visa!

Many countries do not allow dual citizenship, how would that work for former citizens of such countries?

I never thought I’d be defending Bloomberg, but here I go…

Bloomberg is a technocrat in both the good and the bad meaning of the word. This means that he will hire smart people who will provide him with real data and he will make decisions based on that data. This doesn’t mean that the data he receives is unbiased or that the decisions he makes would be good ones, but at least there would be a logical (and ethical?) foundation of what he does. This at least puts him in another league from the current miscreant.

He believes climate change is a real and pressing problem. He believes that a properly run government is part of the solution, not part of the problem. These three things make him hands down a better choice.

That being said, we (I) don’t want him in office. Let’s get Bernie or Warren in there and I can be happy.

11 Likes

Roger that.

10 Likes

It’s weird how you can ignore the difference that Trump has overtly made corrupt use of his office, appears to have learned from his impeachment non-trial that he can get away with whatever he wants, and it’d be nice if that were to cease as soon as possible. I’m not aware of anything comparable being true of Bloomberg, regardless of my significant other objections to him.

6 Likes

This is why our legislature needs to spend their time finding bad laws to eliminate from the books way before comming up with new ones to pass. Framing someone they don’t like is the only reason to keep all our zombie laws in place. Until 2003 you could be charged with felony sodomy for merely having oral sex with your own spouse. That could certainly have been used to denaturalize you.

3 Likes

That’s why I always refrain from breathing if there’s some bad air somewhere else.

12 Likes

My sister was an NYC principal under Bloomberg and … this is pretty much her take. She’d prefer that he’s not the candidate. But she will defend that, at least he saw people like her, and gave them some authority to use their knowledge to make a difference. Stop-and-frisk was absolutely racist … but he also empowered my sister to demonstrably improve the lives of a lot of people of color living in poverty in Brooklyn. So there’s that.

8 Likes

Maybe we could keep this in place just long enough to de-naturalize the Trump family.

underscores the Department’s commitment to bring justice to terrorists, war criminals, sex offenders, and other fraudsters who illegally obtained natu

As I understand it, that’s the only way they legally can - if any claim made on their entrance or naturalization application was false. (This is why the “are you a terrorist?) thing on the visa & visa-waiver paperwork. They don’t expect anyone to say yes. But they can hold a lie against you later, big time, anytime.)

It’s the “creating a department dedicated to this” which is worrying. Does anyone really believe the US has that many war criminals immigrating? (This doesn’t affect war criminals naturally born.)

6 Likes

This is another area where it turns out there were no laws preventing it, and things had only been mostly fair and just before because of common convention of past administrations. The US has revoked citizenship plenty of times in the past- most notably from suspected Nazi war criminals found in the US, who managed to quietly naturalize long after the war.

So, like everything in the Trump era, it was never illegal to do this, it has happened before, but now it’s a weapon and will happen nonstop because it turns out some people define good behavior by what they can get away with.

Trump, and to a larger degree the Republican party, have revealed how much of the fabled American system of checks and balances is really just courtesy toward high-minded ideals. If you don’t have any, turns out the system is deeply, deeply broken.

9 Likes

Plus the entire population of Northern Ireland.

7 Likes

the lives of people who weren’t thrown into prision, or forced out of their homes you mean.

because that’s the issue with bloomberg. you can point to money he’s given out to charities that have improved the lives of some people, but then his policies - and his money given out to conservative politicians and groups - have directly harmed others.

to me it seems he’s used his money to whitewash his racist, and economic goals.

10 Likes

And those are the reasons he would be my absolute last choice for the dem nominee. Having said that, if I am forced by whatever nefarious scheme to choose between this guy and Il Douche, I will not have to think twice. A pile of fetid dingo kidneys would get my vote over the Asshole In Chief.

12 Likes

I hate to nitpick, but you’ve spelled Department of Injustice wrong.

1 Like