The US treasury secretary's signature was unfit to print on currency

[Permalink]

1 Like

thatā€™s stupid. If thatā€™s the way the man signs his names, thatā€™s his signature.

Not that any of it really matters anymoreā€¦

8 Likes

Take note doctors, the bar for unintelligible signatures has just been raised.

5 Likes

Hes worse than me. I at least draw the ā€œSā€ in my name before scribbling.

Thatā€™s a masterpiece of legibility compared to mine.

I used to have college professors tell me, ā€œI can always tell your signature because itā€™s the one I canā€™t read.ā€

When itā€™s that distinctive it doesnā€™t need to be legible.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just trying to figure out how you get eight or nine loops (itā€™s not clear with the first one) from ā€œJack Lew.ā€ My signature is similarly incomprehensible, but I can trace how I came to do it that way; one of my initials closely resembles its Greek letter counterpart, which I more-or-less did deliberately as a teenager and stuck with since then.

2 Likes

My signature has deteriorated over the years until it is now just a single letter followed by a random number of loops, decreasing in size and heavily overlapping at the end.

3 Likes

Signing all the currency is arguably one of the more dull parts of the job and was the central bankā€™s main argument against quantitative easing.

22 Likes

I was gonna say, ā€œyou try signing 6.2 billion notes a year and see how good your handwriting looks at the end of the day.ā€

10 Likes

I am impressed: you may not be able to make out specific letters in my signature, but my scribble isnā€™t aggressively not possibly definable as related to any letters in my name.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œfrauenfelder, post:1, topic:49512ā€]in order not to debase our currency[/quote]Heā€™s saying that certain things shouldnā€™t be debased? You just know some folks are going to regard that as setting a very dangerous precedent.

1 Like

Pshaw. Heā€™s a piker. My wifeā€™s signature is far more illegible, and in addition it keeps changing. Periodically she has to come down to the credit union to assure them that yes, she really did sign that check with an illegible squiggle differing from the illegible squiggle they have on file for her.

Imagine the fun if the US banknotes had 10 or 12 different illegible Treasury signatures! It could be a government money-raiser - collect 'em all!

2 Likes

I think we can expect the conspiracy theorists to be all over that statement in a few, trying to find the hidden meaning and probably ending by demanding that the GOP require the government to promptly begin debasing the US currency.

1 Like

Signatures as visually representative of oneā€™s name are not a universal concept. I knew someone from Chile whose signature was a complex, abstract scrawl, but the same scrawl every time. He explained that it was more important that his signature be difficult to copy than to resemble his actual name.

Also,

12 Likes

Iā€™m actually impressed. The original signature just like a completely-arbitrary series of loops. But when you see the ā€œlegibleā€ signature there are clear parallels ā€“ the series of loops definitely evolved from a earlier ancestor that was legible.

Thatā€™s how my wife signs for her credit cards, except thereā€™s an accent at the end.

I wanna grow
grow up to be
be a debaser

1 Like

When I read ā€˜unfit to printā€™, I was expecting something more like this:

http://www.pierredebonneuil.fr/crbst_Signature_20Aleister_20Crowley_20-_20Ep_C3_A9e_20Flamboyante.jpg

3 Likes

His name. It is zero in both binary and hex.

And 8 zeros in english.