The USB C to USB is 1/1oth the price of the meme

Originally published at: The USB C to USB is 1/1oth the price of the meme | Boing Boing

6 Likes

But the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true…

9 Likes

16 Likes

This is cheaper and smaller. So cheap and small you can just get one for each oldstyle USB thingy and then leave them on.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18628

7 Likes

Not defending Apple, but that $79 dongle (still expensive!) has HDMI, USB 3 [A], and a USB-C PD passthrough port on it. You can easily find them for 1/3 the price from reputable brands.

6 Likes

PIXEL phones just include one along with the charger & cable

12 Likes

8 Likes

16 Likes

I thought that was the chalice with the palace?

5 Likes

Well, I’m fairly certain that the pellet with the poison’s in the vessel with the pestle; so I’m inclined to concur.

4 Likes

I’ve been a PC guy (calling it “pc” because I’ve been at it since WAY before Windows, since they first came out.) It just worked out that way. I’m now in a situation where I am helping people deal with their Apple products and I am becoming more and more anti-Apple. They got creamed when everyone cloned the IIe components, just like IBM got creamed for making the PC out of generic parts. Now they screw the customer at every turn, making non-upgradable computers, ports that require new cables, etc. Don’t buy Apple. They hate you.

4 Likes

Apple- the company who embraces minimalism by removing any abilities for the user to even plug anything into it. Yeah, sounds about right.

My big grief is with Logitech- I have one of it their otherwise excellent MX Anywhere mice, but I can’t use it on my laptop from 2019 easily because that HP Spectre x360 only has one type A usb port (the original rectangular kind), and even though they make Universal receivers for the mice you can buy by themselves if you lose it, they don’t make a USBC version of it to fit in the multiple other type C ports I have.

So I bought a second receiver off of Amazon to modify to USB C myself by physically hacking and converting it to type C, which you can easily do, by following this video:

In the end I ended up sending the dongle back because it was a Chinese counterfeit and that was clear from the second I got it in the mail and I eventually explained what I was trying to do to Logitech directly because of their stupidity on this issue, and they ended up starting a counterfeit investigation on Amazon of the people selling these illicitly.

Yet they STILL dont simply offer their mouse receiver in type C, so I can just leave it in the laptop.

Arrrrggggghhhh

7 Likes

Don’t worry, Microsoft hates you too. Microsoft devices have short lifespans and shorter warranties, and are frequently equally unfixable.

5 Likes

While I did like my mac when we had one at work - and I wish I could have kept it vs just having it rot in a closet somewhere - the various dongles I had to plug into it to use it at my desk was comical.

Here is a slick, nice looking design- cluttered up with white bricks if you want to do anything with it.

5 Likes

But the flagon with the dragon makes the situation much more confusing…

3 Likes

Damn, I’d forgotten about that!

1 Like

Excellent point. I am inured to MS hatred, like I suppose some are inured to Apple’s hatred. I know what to expect and can (usually) work around it.

ETA: At least with MS they don’t control the whole platform, hardware, OS, and massive control over 3d party software.

1 Like

Do people seriously believe usb-c is an apple invention or something?

I mean, come on, go get a usb-a → usb-c converter - FROM ANYONE.

16 Likes

Why are these things called “Universal” when they turn out to be very Particular and Restricted?

1 Like

Because the licensing is universal. Anyone who can pay for the relatively cheap licence can make official USB connectors and chips etc.

1 Like