The Vessel: a perfect symbol for the grifter capitalism of New York City's privatized Hudson Yards "neighborhood"

I think even Godzilla would consider it too ugly to step on (for worry of getting little particles stuck between his toes) and just use his atomic breath on it or a tail swish.

Or be so offended by its ugliness and just do something different to it
download

13 Likes

That is the one thing I hate about my commute in NYC. The omnipresent giant lasers coming through midtown.

11 Likes

Point taken. I was thinking of the mcmansions with useless architectural accoutrements, vestigial columns and cupolas, “widow’s walks” with no entrance, etc.

3 Likes

I think the word we want here is “plop art.”

9 Likes

8 Likes

Simpsons Futurama Did It

10 Likes
13 Likes

14 Likes

…Funky life!

Funky Life
I’ve been told
All that glitter is not gold
And gold is not reality,
Momma, real is what you laid on me

Funky Life

Funky Life
I’ve been told
All that…

6 Likes

From that angle it’s a giant ribcage. And ugly.

5 Likes

I found this in the TOS
"By submitting User Content, you grant us an unlimited license to use your content in any way we choose. This includes creative uses such as republishing the work on our ad-supported Website, forums, and elsewhere, and practical uses such as copying your content to make back ups of it, displaying it on the website, and distributing and modifying it as needed to make the Site work.

Because our servers are located remotely, and because User Content is retained indefinitely, you grant us these rights worldwide and irrevocably, and agree that we don’t owe you royalties for any use of your content based on these rights."

Oh, yes, that’s in the boingboing TOS.

Clarify, expand and spelling correction

The first sentence is the part of the boingboing TOS that I find most interesting. The license is for any use of User Content, it is not limited to use on the boingboing web site.

The Vessel and the boingboing web site are similar in that they are both privately owned, both require a contract with end users, and the contract includes licensing for use in any form. The original TOS for entry to The Vessel was unusual in that it claimed rights to any future works that included The Vessel even as a minor component of that work.

Even without any contract The Vessel as a sculpture automatically receives copyright protection. Any image that includes The Vessel as the major focus of the image would automatically be subject a licensing requirement for any commercial use of The Vessel in the image. An image that only includes The Vessel as a part of the background to a different major focus would not require a license for use of The Vessel image.

The revised TOS for entrance to The Vessel drops the licensing rights to all future images including The Vessel that are made from outside of The Vessel. This is much closer to the normally expected licensing requirements.

4 Likes

More like: Nudge, nudge … aaaaaaargh!

Or a giant spring. Godzilla: RAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!! … (BOING!)

6 Likes

As I am writing this, I am creating a copyright on this content. When I post it to BoingBoing, they couldn’t do anything with it unless I in some way licensed them to do it. Via the TOS, they get that license, so they can copy it and publish it on this web site. Every time someone comes to this BBS page, they will get a copy of my text, and BoingBoing will use that eternal license to justify their copying of my work.

When I post a photograph on Instagram, they will require a similar license, in order for them to publish my work.

I am granting this license because otherwise, they would have to just delete my comment or photograph and not show it to anyone (including me).

The people who own this collection of stairways to nothing claimed copyright on all photographs, videos, and other content which included any photographs (or video or any other representation) of their collection of stairways, without regard of where or how they are published. They are claiming that your photo (copyrighted to you) that you posted on Instagram (with a license to Instagram) has an implied license to them, so they can post your photograph on Instagram or Facebook or print it on a billboard or put it in their brochure or create a photo album or use it for tactical training or do a facial recognition software to create a list of everyone who was in their building or whatever they want to do that day.

It is not in any way, shape, or form related to the permissions necessary for the website that you are using to publish the work to complete that publishing.

Does that help explain how different the two situations are?

Oh, and welcome to the board. I do like your collection of staircases to nowhere; they are pleasing to the eye.

9 Likes

It’s fuckin’ ugly from every angle I’ve seen.

10 Likes

Personally I don’t find it that ugly. From a design point of view it’s ‘kind of interesting’ I guess, but just so damned pointless. It’s a total tourist trap, but I’m curious how popular it’s even going to be with tourists-- there’s a lot of stuff to do in NYC, climbing stairs to get a slightly better view of New Jersey doesn’t seem like it will be high on anyone’s list.

4 Likes

To each his own, obvs.

I have a degree in design, (though not architectural.)

I maintain my opinion that it’s fucking hideous, as well as essentially useless.

And I say that as someone who often doesn’t mind hexagonal design, when it’s done right:

10 Likes

Let me guess… cold riveted girders…with cores of pure selenium, right?

1 Like

It’s by Thomas Heatherwick, bits will start dropping off in a few months and anyone inside will probably be broiled to death.

4 Likes

Which is why I relocated to Gotham. True, you have to put up with costume-coordinated lunatics, but no space lasers so far. :wink:

6 Likes

Looks like a dangerous place to get your groove on. No safety railings.

1 Like