The Vessel: a perfect symbol for the grifter capitalism of New York City's privatized Hudson Yards "neighborhood"

2 Likes

As a kind of interactive art/sculpture goes, it truly sucks and is nowhere near as “friendly” as the Alamo Cube (also in Manhattan). School buddies and I discovered the Cube late one night after tanking up at (then being booted out of) McSorley’s Old Alehouse, all in – ahem – preparation for a ski trip planned for the next day. We found that we could easily spin the Cube, and this while mimicking the Star Trek TOS score used in a scene featuring a huge spinning threatening space-cube; no one else was around, so we felt totally comfortable with that.

5 Likes

That’s a piece that actually has a purpose; it’s touchable art that requires people to work together in order to make it move.

The inorganic pseudo-hive that Heatherwick made is a spot specifically intended for taking freakin’ selfies.

8 Likes

Its certainly better than Star City. Its like every year someone is trying to demolish it with earthquake machines, armies of steroid-mutants, nuclear weapons…

3 Likes

Had to look this one up… Deep cut for me haha!

2 Likes

It’s like a structure in a FPS capture the flag level. Ugly, blocky, lazily rendered and unjustified in it’s presence, but probably fun to play on (as an inexhaustibly stair-climbing/gap-jumping video game character…)

3 Likes

I like how the cube and its pad are sized to allow small children (of a useful height) to take part in the spinning. I later observed that if you hang around long enough, you’ll see what appear to be complete strangers (most often small children and adolescents) working the cube; can’t tell you how great that felt!

6 Likes

Oh, Sonic and Mario would probably love that thing, if they were real.

It’s an installment that actually does what Heatherwick’s installment claims to; it brings people together, at least briefly.

5 Likes

Ivo Shandor in partnership with B. S. Johnson.

4 Likes

As a resident of NJ who lives directly across from that view, I am both saddened and resigned to the fact you are absolutely correct.

3 Likes

“On a clear day you can see Hoboken”. . . has a nice ring to it.

3 Likes

Well, at least it’s not as fucking hideous/creepy/ludicrously expensive as this (and at one tenth of the cost):

But back to The Vessel: that copper sheeting. What were they thinking?

3 Likes

It looks like the worst attempt to disguise the heat sink for an underground lab of overclocked GPUs cranking out bitcoins.

3 Likes

Sounds like a 1930ies film title.

2 Likes

6 Likes

No stairway!

1 Like

OK, how about “on a clear day you can see Weehawken”?

What? Same difference?

3 Likes

More geographically accurate too!

3 Likes

So are you saying that the architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko?

1 Like

All they need is to wait for the next big thunderstorm and pay some anthropology professor to go up to the highest platform and scream “ALL GODS ARE BASTARDS!” at the top of his or her lungs…

1 Like