Fourth death at "The Vessel" sculpture in New York City's Hudson Yards

Originally published at: Fourth death at "The Vessel" sculpture in New York City's Hudson Yards | Boing Boing

5 Likes

the ostentatiously pointless building

They probably said that about the Eiffel Tower at one point. Now it is a national treasure.

I don’t have a problem with art like this, but yeah, they should make an effort to make it safe. Maybe those thin wire railings would do the trick with out being too obvious for viewers.

ETA - found a few articles - here is just one of many showing lost of people hated it. And being made for the worlds fair, defines “ostentatious”.

And the protesters conclude by mocking this “tower of ridiculous vertiginous height, dominating Paris just like " a gigantic black factory chimney, ” spreading across the whole city “ like a dark ink stain, the odious shadow of this odious column of bolted metal.

16 Likes

A 14-year-old boy fell Thursday

This report i read earlier words it as the person having jumped.

Setting that aside i do think money should be spent on tangible projects that are meant to help low income NYC families instead of vanity architectural projects

17 Likes

Bad, ugly design is bad and ugly.

Unlike the Eiffel Tower, that hideous thing serves no actual purpose, aside from “taking selfies.”

17 Likes

Would it be uncharitable of me to suspect that only fear of litigation keeps the sort of people who would design, build or fund such a monument to grinding futility from seeing periodic deaths as a feature rather than a bug?

16 Likes

Nope; not at all.

11 Likes

Not to be outdone, London has spent a pile of money on its own pointless staircase.

15 Likes

Well, it is no London Eye. How did they shape the earth with angles?

7 Likes

They found that, if they applied smoothing, the city’s frame rate dropped through the floor.

48 Likes

XS5LK

13 Likes

You’ve got that right. There was quite a bit of criticism about the tower when it was first built. From the history section of the official website:

5 Likes

Not at all. As I noted a few years ago, “The Vessel” is

15 Likes

Crying out for an ADA and OSHA review.

10 Likes

Fence it off, plant vines, voila-- hanging gardens.

14 Likes

Another massively-overbudget, monstrous, pointless Heatherwick Studios commission to join ‘The B of the Bang’ (demolished after bits kept falling off), the new London Routemaster bus (too many defects to list), Thames Garden Bridge (£50 million and never built) and he’s rumoured to be a shoo-in for the UK Covid memorial.

10 Likes

“We are aware that elements of the Marble Arch Mound are not yet ready for visitors,” said the council.

4 Likes

I believe there is scaffolding of some kind underneath the “hill”

4 Likes

So it’s a “death spiral”. Makes sense to me…

11 Likes

The sexual selection theory suggests that art is a display of fitness for mating by signaling how much energy a guy has that he can use in non survival activities. This doesn’t look like this - maybe it’s pre-wanking.

I don’t remember them applying this to women back in the day.

11 Likes

I’ve incompetently flocked a few tabletop model hills in my time; can I be an award-winning hip architect now?

8 Likes