Banksy's anti-BP dolphin ride

[Permalink]

Wow how daring and cutting edge, he stuck it to them and showed it to that company that most of the world hates. Yeah.

1 Like

Your comment reminds me of this equation:

Modern Art  =  I could have done that  +  Yeah, but you didn't
11 Likes

Wow, this is just the sort of commentary I come to Boing Boing for. Insightful, cut-to-the-bone stuff. Yeah.

1 Like

This will devastate BP.

What does “stuck it to them” mean, anyway?

I don’t see any proof that that was Banksy’s intention…

2 Likes

Thanks for posting my submission, Cory. This Banksy installation reminds me of the Boing Boing post on Tim Hunkin’s Whackabanker arcade game: http://www.timhunkin.com/a152_whackabanker.htm

4 Likes

This is great, and honestly, I don’t understand the trolling; any effort to connect a company’s brand to its actual behaviour is a step in the right direction. It’s more than I have done…

10 Likes

Good idea, I guess. But really, is anyone on Brighton Pier going to connect this with BP’s (and Exxon’s and whoeverthefuck else oil companies are out there), rape of the environment?

I don’t think so. This particular installation is just spitting in to the wind as far as I can tell.

Need one, or fifty, in Biloxi.

2 Likes

To be clear, this installation happened in 2010, shortly after the Deepwater oil spill - it was certainly on many minds then.

2 Likes

Thanks. Didn’t read deep enough. :smile:

Superficially Deep or Deeply Superficial? The question applies to the art, your comment and this reply.

1 Like

Banksy identity confirmed: It’s Tim Hunkin.

1 Like

I’d just like to bring up the aesthetics of this thing. Banksy’s traditional approach is a simple, kind of timeless graphic, spray painted image that cleverly plays with location and subject matter. This dolphin machine is tacky and contrived and there’s nothing pretty about it. It seems out of character and cheesy for the artist to do this now. Are we sure it’s his work?

I only wish I could market myself as well as Banksy. Because that’s what this environmental statement really is.

Banksy identity confirmed: It’s really this guy.

2 Likes

This dolphin machine is tacky and contrived and there’s nothing pretty about it. It seems out of character and cheesy for the artist to do this now. Are we sure it’s his work?

You mustn’t have seen Banksy’s port-a-potty work at Glastonbury…

2 Likes

I think this is genius marketing.

Often McDonald’s targets kids with ads (Dad I really want that bullshit X-Men happy meal), I would love to see more of these subversive ads target kids and force them to confront their parents with these sort of questions.

1 Like