The water sommelier of Los Angeles

And you are sitting in the BP entrance Pavilion. I don’t need to tell you where those dollars came from.

Nothing makes a luxury more luxurious than all the people who can’t afford it.

2 Likes

As is not uncommon, you are making an assumption.

Meeh.

First of all, most of these waters are the biggest supermarket brands that you can find just about anywhere.in Europe at least, don’t know how it is over there in the land of the free.

Also, the sales copy is just… bad. Take a look at the Danish water ““Iskilde” means “cold spring” in Danish. This
artesian spring was discovered in the Mosso Conservation area in a remote part of the Danish
lake highlands in 2001 by a retired insurance broker and his wife.”

First, Iskilde would mean ice spring. I don’t know how they define “remote” here but this densely populated country pretty much have no place at all that could be regarded as remote. Also, what the hell are the “Danish lake highlands”, the country is pretty much flat and is basically hugging the sea level, the highest point of the country is 170 meters over the sea. The spring might have been discovered by an insurance broker and his wife, but I guess they probably got that wrong as well.

2 Likes

I must admit that there are times when a fizzy, mineral-y water just hits the spot. For that, I like Apollinaris and Gerolsteiner. Haven’t bought any in ages, as I’m somewhat off carbonation, but that’s another story. The mineral content definitely affects the taste. Locally, we can get Crazy Water from Mineral Wells, TX. They sell four varieties in increasing mineral strength. Occasionally, I’ll buy a bottle of the #3.

And I thought Disney over charged for bottled water.

PS: PLUG: I love my soda stream…I’ve had it 6 years (with the glass bottle version) and it’s used every week instead of being a under countertop dweller.

And, of course, the person who didn’t fall for it (and there were probably more, who got edited out…) got mocked for being a snob. So, what was their point again?

It’s pretty easy to tell the difference between various waters. It’s usually not worth paying for, and sometimes the expensive ones are not even pleasant (some are very alkaline, taste almost like baking soda), but there is a perceptible difference.

no, what you are tasting is the plastic of the water bottle. water is H2o. with no impurities, it has no taste.

I’ll just put this here.

Brain : “I shall pollute the water supply with this DNAdefibuliser, turning everyone into mindless slaves.”
Pinky : “What about the people who drink bottled water?”
Brain : “Pinky, people who pay 5 dollars for a bottle of water are already mindless slaves.”

5 Likes

The glass is likely to carry more flavour than the water. Unless of course they make sure they only wash the glasses in the water they’ll contain.

To be fair the price may be reasonable for the cost of extraction, bottling and distribution.

Doesn’t mean it’s worth $8, mind you.

Strictly speaking, D2O might actually have some hazard potential(by the standards of isotopes, Deuterium is markedly different in atomic mass than its counterpart, at basically double, and this stuff is very enriched), so it wouldn’t entirely surprise me if some vital-and-touchy protein or other doesn’t fold right if its hydrogens are swapped with Deuterium.

That said, I get the strong impression that MSDSes are total cut-n’-paste jobs, starting with a stock template (don’t touch it, don’t drink it, if it gets on you, wash it off) and then adding scarier warnings for substances that are demonstrably alarming enough to require them.

I read an article about a study where expert wine tasters where given white wine and asked to describe it and then the same white wine but dyed red and they described the two “different” wines completely differently.

“I once bought a packet of powdered water. I didn’t know what to add.”

Stole my thought :slight_smile:
“and you’ll notice the light tones of BPA…”

I’m thinking it’s about time for a sequel to LA Story.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.