The wee black dots that outline your windshield: explained

What an incredible set of features that are showing up on cars! I can’t wait for them to appear on my 1969 VW Beetle! (Which, I’ll note, turns 50 years old this month!)

4 Likes

came to the comments for this.

1 Like
1 Like

They kinda fit, but not very well.

Hey, Casey Kasem’s brother finally got work, let’s give him a break!

4 Likes

Benefit of the chewing gum method is that as the windshield is not loaded, cracks from stone-chips don’t spread anywhere near as fast as they used to.

Hey, remember when they were toughened glass, and the windshield would basically explode, but without falling apart? There was a little section right in front of the driver that was treated differently so you had just enough vision to pull over safely (hopefully). Otherwise the recommendation was to punch a hole through the shattered glass with your fist. Fun times.

1 Like

Not true. For the last three and a half years I’ve been working as a logistics driver for a big car auction company and then a car repair and refurbishment company, and I can’t tell you just how many car screens I’ve seen with cracks in, some extending more than half-way across the screen, and also very large chips, which require the entire screen being replaced.
Replacement is complicated by the fact that many cars have a cluster of optical sensors set in a black ‘box’ behind the rear view mirror; replacing a screen requires the car to be presented with a full fuel tank, and it takes approximately two and a half hours to do the fitting, because the sensors, for speed sign recognition, lane deviation, etc, to be calibrated. Couple that with heating elements in screens used by Ford, Volvo, Nissan, Range Rover, etc, and the cost is considerable. Also, the glass used is significantly thinner than older screens, a fact confirmed by one of the screen fitters I take cars to for replacement. Which does offer a small perk of the job, the nearest place with the necessary facilities is an hour’s drive away, so that means I’m away from work for the best part of five hours.

2 Likes

Huh. I was only speaking from personal experience where crack growth was almost guaranteed in my past experience, but haven’t now seen it in years.

Not sure if it’ll link ok, but this is a shot of a screen on a car that arrived yesterday, I think it’s either a Partner or a Berlingo, I didn’t check the make. The strike point is just to the side of the rear view mirror mount point, and runs about a foot either side. I’ve seen bigger.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.