Unsettling Oregon house listed for sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/06/unsettling-oregon-house-listed.html

13 Likes

I suspect this was an attempt of someone being hunted by the Hounds of Tindalos to avoid their fate by avoiding the sorts of angles they can manifest from

45 Likes

Winston Churchill was some kind of master bricklayer who built brick walls all over his estate as a pastime.

This guy seems to really, really enjoy making weird-ass mitre joints.

20 Likes

The final photo did not reveal the access hatch to the Minuteman silo below stairs.

I am disappoint.

23 Likes

I don’t know that I would consider it unsettling just because there are no right angles. It’s a hexagon. Whoever built it just didn’t know how to partition it off practically. Gut it and start over, maybe with interior finishes from this millennium.

13 Likes

Like a faded blue TARDIS house with bargain bin styling inside.

10 Likes

Really couldn’t see the hexagon from the exterior photos, I finally thought I could see a possible pentagon there, but Google Maps confirms that it’s a hexagon.

I think laying out the house on opposite lines to the walls is fun, and probably nicer to live in than a boring “this box is next to this box” conventional house. At 3k sq ft, maximizing efficiency of space isn’t an issue.

13 Likes

It’s a fine blank canvas that still has some personality. I rather like it, and I like the idea of 2.5 acres even more. Live in the US? Sorry, but not on your nellie.

26 Likes

As a hobbyist woodworker, weird-ass mitre joints are a PAIN IN THE ASS. Kudos to this guy for building it, and good friggin’ luck getting any carpenter to fix any problems.

18 Likes

A little pricey too.

5 Likes

This has triggered my recurring fantasy of designing myself a contemporary Dymaxion home.

16 Likes

When I first saw that first pic, of the outside of the building, I assumed it was a Beschizza 'shop - the architectural equivalent of eye-mouths, because it looks like it’s been awkwardly mirrored.

That’s not why it’s unsettling, though. The spaces are weirdly partitioned, it’s obviously custom built but also weirdly impersonal - almost industrial, both the basic design and interior finishes are weird, and even taking camera lens effects into account, the interior spaces seem too big given the small size of the exterior of the building… it’s unsettling because it’s uncanny.

10 Likes

Maybe it’s to much HGTV, but the bones of this are kinda cool. The tile and all the finishings are fucking horrible.

9 Likes

I don’t know about “unsettling” but it’s weird. The… living room? looks like a public swimming pool minus the swimming pool. Despite the vast number of windows, the kitchen is windowless and looks like a dingy and oppressive institutional kitchen in a community hall, the laundry room / home office looks like an institutional laundry for a small prison or hospital or something.

It’s like someone grabbed a bunch of rooms from different contexts drastically different from homes and plunked them into a space, checking off against a list of “rooms commonly found in a home”

The cover picture makes the house seem like a small square bungalow, but other pictures reveal that it’s hexagonal and has one of those “walk out basements” so it’s closer to two stories.

14 Likes

I know, right? Half a mil for a 3/3 house 45 minutes outside Portland with “character”?

8 Likes

I’ve always wanted to live in a haunted gazebo.

18 Likes

Yeah, a tad pricey, but I’d take it.

2 Likes

The address is listed as Shaw Tool’s place of business. They make some sort of rock drill.

8 Likes

It’s possible that the real estate photographer used the wrong lens.

4 Likes

Lite the skyscraper at Wenner-Gren center in Stockholm. It was built with a donation from Wenner-Gren with the stipulation that it shouldn’t have right angles, instead of a rectangle the house is a rhomboid with 77,3 and 102,7 degree corners. It added quite a bit to the cost.

7 Likes