Painting fake eyes on cattle's butts reduces predation by large carnivores

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/17/painting-fake-eyes-on-cattle.html

7 Likes

I am happy to see that farmers are finally learning from the technique that Babar the Elephant adopted many years ago to end the war with the rhinoceroses.

28 Likes

38 Likes

might be a useful conservation measure.

11 Likes

What kind of brush do you use on feathers?

Asking for the remainder of my flock.

13 Likes

And once again, googly eyes do the trick!

16 Likes

Might have to try that on my own butt. I could use a break.

16 Likes

Don’t some surfers paint eyes on the bottom of their surfboards to deter sharks?

And Kraken presumably.

17 Likes

I definitely don’t like my food to be looking back at me, but I suspect the feline rationale for not eating these particular cows is “whew…if their breath smells that bad they’re bound to be tainted meat!”

17 Likes

Hah! Beat me to it.

2 Likes

This is really cool!
But I’m not sure if this statement is true:

My part-Maine coon cat has markings that look just like open eyes on his forehead when his eyes are closed. I don’t have a good image, but there’s this:

Those ear tips look a lot like eye spots.

17 Likes

Also works for turning cats into small mammoths.

WY6

38 Likes

"I didn’t think leopards would eat my cattle’s butt!

11 Likes

So that’s why Greek galleys had those! To discourage attacks by sea monsters. Scylla, etc.

9 Likes

Seems like the Greeks like to put eyes on everything! Those glass rondelles are ubiquitous. Maybe they like being watched? /s
what would you call reverse voyeurism? window dressers? exhibitionists?

5 Likes

Pareidoliacs.

9 Likes

The power of Stink-Eye!

1 Like

Yeah, because just being a friggin’ Tiger just isn’t enough for some bad-asses. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

8 Likes

This is not some new revelation- folks in Sunderban Bengal area know this most acutely:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/IndiaSpeaks/comments/dhbzsr/people_in_bengal_wear_masks_on_the_back_of_their/

3 Likes

They should teach these caterpillars to hang out on the cows.

6 Likes