Mysterious rash of cattle mutilations in Oregon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/09/mysterious-rash-of-cattle-muti.html

1 Like

tenor

27 Likes

27 Likes

This is click bait. This was studied decades ago and when an animal dies scavenger animals eat at the soft tissue first, as do insects. And eating blood is an easy way for some animals that don’t have big teeth to get a decnet meal. As for the “surgical precision” of such cuts, that is how small teeth work. (especially the teeth of insects. And when you have a thousand of them they can take out internal organs pretty quickly, once they get inside.

IOW, this is a totally natural process.

23 Likes

That’s what I read as well. I mean, what is the alternative? Sickos who like to mutilate cattle?

5 Likes

Aliens, yes they are real.

6 Likes

Aliens
Need
Beef!!!

4 Likes

Well I JUST listened to the Bob Lazar and Cmdr. David Fravor (F-18 Pilot and wing commander) pod cast interviews, and I am open to the possibility.

But what would they want with cows? Or specifically, only a few parts of a cow. If they really wanted a cow, why not take the whole thing?

2 Likes

compressed

32 Likes

Given the SPCA/RSPCA caseload; it’s not much of a stretch to assume that those exist; but ones that can get in and out without detection or leaving useful forensic evidence; and who know how to subdue or restrain the target (so as not to get cattle-mutilated when attempting to mutilate cattle, those things aren’t small) efficiently and without leaving telltale traces(gunshot wounds, captive bolt strike site, stray bits of rope, etc.)?

That’s a much higher bar; involving either considerable talent, coordinated efforts where no conspirator ever seems to spill the secret; or perhaps an inside job; and is correspondingly less likely.

Cattle mutilation(as described, not the kind done by ill-paid and authorized agents during decommissioning and meatpacking) is at least varsity level animal cruelty, not just killing-your-neighbor’s cat stuff.

4 Likes

8 Likes

We can only assume that there is someone who thinks that the old cliche goes “Why buy a cow when you can get the blood, tongue; and genitals for free?”

9 Likes

Also: pinches chupacabras!

13 Likes

Well, the first thing I thought about was The Dunwich Horror.

2 Likes

Is that from a prototype version of Illuminati??

6 Likes

I like your perspective, but would be remiss if I did not provide a [Citation needed] in response.

2 Likes

That was the first edition of Illuminati by Steve Jackson Games. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Wasn’t this a thing decades ago? I vaguely recall, even some mention in a comic in CoEvolution Quarterly.

I can’t remember if there was an explanation, but either it disappeared or didn’t get presd fir a long time until this.

1 Like

Cool. I still have a big box of cards somewhere. It was a fun game.

5 Likes

That is valuable! It is no longer in print.

2 Likes