Texas police investigating bizarre and mysterious cattle mutilations

Originally published at: Texas police investigating bizarre and mysterious cattle mutilations | Boing Boing

5 Likes

9 Likes

“We Learn Nothing.” - Tim Krieder

https://www.skepdic.com/cattle.html

5 Likes

Sigh, this again. We know what causes this. It’s normal cattle death followed by scavengers and parasites eating the softest bits first. Nothing is “removed with surgical precision”. :roll_eyes:

Woo like this would go away if ignorant reporters would stop breathlessly and credulously talking about it.

19 Likes

I so wish it would.
To be fair, I hadn’t realised it was this much of a recurring theme in the 'states.
Over here, we just have to deal with crop circles, but at least we know who’s to blame - it’s those bloody alien students on rag week. Tch.

7 Likes

6 Likes

But I would like to see a surgeon advertising “the precision of a carrion eater”, honestly. I mean, vultures and eagles do good work.

7 Likes

The crazy thing, people still believe after it’s been shown to be a hoax. The guys that invented crop circles have gone public a whole bunch saying “yah we did that and here’s how” but people still believe.

The iconic Bigfoot footage was shown to be fake after it was stabilized and you can plainly see the seams on the costume. The guy who making footprints admitted to faking them and was on This American Life, but still armies of people believe it.

The guy that took the famous Nessie photo admitted it was fake. People still believe. It goes on and on. This is why I drink.

9 Likes

Hehe, well in this case it’s mostly insects and bacteria. That’s why it’s “surgical” in appearance, because the things doing the eating are very small.

5 Likes

Yep, me too…

6 Likes

of course it’s been a thing for a lot longer than that

6 Likes

Wow, thanks for the blast from the past! D.R. and Quinch rule.

3 Likes

And this:

No predators or birds would scavenge the remains for several weeks after death.

I don’t know what kinds of predators or birds they have in Texas, but in the areas I’ve lived [admittedly, not Texas] predators and birds show up pretty darn quickly. Usually within a couple hours. Definitely overnight the first night.

But, maybe Texas is different?

1 Like

Wow, the parallels in that article are way spookier than anything about aliens. It’s the same “Face, genitals and anuses” and the phrase “surgical precision” actually appears. The latter half of the article is all about ranchers, angry at the government over inflation and limiting grazing on public lands, creating anti-government conspiracy theories to explain the mutilations.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.