The Welsh punk band scene in the 1980s

Originally published at: The Welsh punk band scene in the 1980s | Boing Boing

6 Likes

This! I think when we think of punk, what really made it was when it went from large urban centers out to much smaller locales. Kids in all sorts of places really embraced the whole DIY cultural production aspect of punk, and made their own scenes. That is what made it an enduring, translocal cultural phenomenon that is still around today. It gave people a pro-active way to entertain themselves and learn how to organize for other kinds of activities (in some cases, politically).

17 Likes

\H/
Ott
/C\

Welsh is a fantastic language to express anger in.

4 Likes

There were some great photos of 1980s Tyneside punks in the recent Chris Killip retrospective:

…and they’ve now been collected into a book.

4 Likes

you’ll have to get yerself to the Wales Milllenium Center in Cardiff.

Talk about lack of cultural respect! /s

(They do not spell centre like that in Cardiff, Rob.)

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 20.26.54

5 Likes

Yeah, the Welsh spell cantre correctly; the way the Old French intended. :+1:

4 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 20.46.49

5 Likes

:smile::smile::smile::+1:

2 Likes

But they spell milllenium that way so only the Welsh can pronounce it.

1 Like

Not much punk in this, but it’s an excellent movie, set in that period:

For those who don’t know the reference, Land of My Fathers is the Welsh national anthem.

(Now that I think of it, it echoes Iris DeMent’s song, Wasteland Of The Free. Everything is connected!)

3 Likes

My gf used to hang out at the Station. I missed it, sadly.

3 Likes

I grew up with David, and one of the coolest things he did for this exhibition was to “de-digitise” loads of music from the bands featured by recording streaming songs onto casettes. The exhibition features a “punk rock living room” where visitors can listen to the casettes of their choice. A really authentic nod to the way music was shared back in the day.

4 Likes

Nice! I had no idea about this but could definitely check it out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.