The wonderful world of asbestos

the asbestos filters formerly offered on Kent-brand cigarettes;

Huh- if breathing in the smoke from the tobacco didn’t give you cancer, the filter surely would. no surprise they got called cancer sticks.

5 Likes

Dr Strangelove__Doctor__Pick numer three_phixr

13 Likes

So this is why Trump went to Walter Reed. He has asbestosis!

2 Likes

Fireproof - so your family won’t burn to death on Christmas eve.

However, by New Year’s, you all will have a persistent cough…

4 Likes

I’d wager that plenty of asbestosis was used when they completely gutted (only the exterior walls remained) and rebuilt the White House during the Eisenhower administration.

3 Likes

Same reco with lead paint.

7 Likes

Same issue, unless it flakes off, seal it in and cover it up.

Generally you only see lead paint poisoning litigation coming from people living in the worst of the worst apartment buildings. Ones so lacking in periodic maintenance that they have not been repainted in decades.

3 Likes

If you want to literally live in Asbestos, you can

Or in Actinolite in Ontario, named after a mineral which, in its fibrous form, is also a type of asbestos.

:canada: didn’t quit with the stuff for far too long… deaths ensued…

3 Likes

Me too. Next up - Mercury droplets running over our hands and dropping to the floor. The old days were fun.

9 Likes

Honestly, asbestos really is a very good material for a ton of purposes. It’s only when you end up breathing asbestos fibers it turns bad…

2 Likes

Yeah I did AHERA certification as an asbestos inspector/contractor in the 80’s (main takeaway was you couldn’t pay me enough to actually do it). Asbestos is a truly wonderful material - nothing comes close to it for fire and chemical resistance. Only downside is that it will kill you dead dead dead in a whole variety of really horrible ways. Two of the more notable victims are Steve Mcqueen (too much brake pad dust) and Henry Ward Johns, one of the founders of Johns Manville.

8 Likes

Tiger’s Eye immediately sprang to my mind, too, also.

1 Like

You should see the human health research on macaroni wreaths!

2 Likes

If the flaming Christmas tree fell over, this flooring could keep the fire from spreading:

6 Likes

of the brain.

1 Like

Fun fact, asbestos is a common contaminant of talc, and Johnson and Johnson was knowingly selling baby powder containing the contaminated kind (and spending lots of money to make sure that information wasn’t publicly disseminated) for basically forever.

As of like May they finally announced that they’re discontinuing the talc-based line (in the US at least) so… everything should be fine. But stores are allowed to keep selling it until their stocks run out. Start your shopping now!

5 Likes

“Asbestosis” sounds like the name of the next Tool album.

2 Likes
  • Banned asbestos in 2017 (but still mining and exporting).
  • Millions of roof tiles and water tanks still in use specially in poor households.
  • No plans to start abatement.
  • Loose norms on handling in constructions. Also, long history of informal labor and H&S norms violation.
  • No monitoring of health impacts caused by asbestos.

Welcome to Brasil, the land of asbestos.

8 Likes

I am getting the same feeling I had when I was told families were establishing terraforming colonies on LV-426.

1 Like

Well…maybe. The dangers of Asbestosis were widely known in the medical profession at least in the 1930’s. Back in the day the stuff would be milled, bagged and those bags humped around for shipment all over the world. It had excellent thermal insulation properties though. All brake pads (whose dust would be routinely blown out by air in a brake shop) - not just cars but it was also used in railway brakes, I guess planes as well. I can still smell the stink from those brakes as the trains pulled into underground stations - no doubt patrons got a good dose of asbestos dust too. And then there is Mesothelioma. I recall one lady who contracted that cancer just from washing her husbands overalls.

2 Likes