The word "sheeple" is now in the dictionary, with Apple fans as example

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/02/the-word-sheeple-is-now-in.html

1 Like

Thanks, Merriam-Webster, for giving trolls a permanent voice in the dictionary.

14 Likes

I suppose if evoking it incessantly didn’t work to summon them, inscribing it in our ancient tomes of knowledge is the logical next step…

20 Likes

And, of course, everyone but yourself is a… What’s the singular for “sheeple?” “Sherson” just doesn’t sound right…

This was supposed to be a lead-in to post the other relevant xkcd, but now I’m actually curious what the singular form would be.

4 Likes

Sheeple?
A sheep, some sheep, a sheeple, some sheeple?

3 Likes

That just doesn’t seem aesthetically satisfying to me.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I think it works better for me as the counters used in some games like Carcassonne are called “meeples” so you can ask “where’s my meeple?” and it wouldn’t sound odd. Using it for plural would though.

3 Likes

Cabron?

8 Likes

Yo don’t blame people who write dictionaries, they record modern usage, they don’t make it.

(Also you should really check out Helen Zaltzman’s latest Allusionist episode, cuz it deals with this directly.)

3 Likes

“Sheeple” can be a very useful word once you understand that it’s used by sophomoric scare-mongering alt-facters (Both right and left) as a weak insult and insinuation that the recipient is incapable of thinking for themselves.

Treat this word as a channel marker in polite society: Recognize it when you see it as proclaiming “Dangerous waters ahead.”

4 Likes

Isn’t it a group effect by definition?

8 Likes

And not meaning to get too deep into Apple-wrath as a subject, but that’s a pretty lightweight and disposable piece of journalism to choose to immortalize as THE usage example for the ages.

The quoted sentence is actually the entirety of what the author bothered to express on the subject, buried deep in a flavor-of-the-day listicle. Not saying it has to be Shakespeare or nothing, but you know.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/09/us/new-day-five-things/

1 Like

So is a riot, but we still have a term for an individual rioter. So, “people affected by groupthink” is to “sheeple” as “person affected by groupthink” is to…?

1 Like

Sheeplon? Sheeplum? Sheeplo?

Lamb-chop?

4 Likes

Sheeplet?

4 Likes

At this point, unless they’re using it ironically, I view it as a strong indicator that the person has nothing to say and is, ironically, parroting their chosen crowd’s position.

4 Likes

Machead?

I ked, I ked!

1 Like

I thought the proper term was “Apple fan-boy.”

1 Like

As an iPhone user, I hope the next one is even thinner so that I can attach a bigger battery pack.

The whole industry obsession with phone thinness at the expense of usability is distressing. There should be more user advocates and less marketing staff in tech companies.

1 Like