The world's blackest ink

I also have some of this ink. I think the complaints about it destroying pens are a bit over blown. It is however a pain in the ass to clean out if you want to change ink color to something that isn’t black. I usually have to use a bulb syringe to force water at a decent pressure get out every last bit of the carbon particles out of the feed.

I’m fairly sure my Twsbi eco still has a small ring of black carbon from this ink near the plunger because I didn’t feel like taking the pen apart and forcing water through it.

That being said Platinum carbon black is still one of my go to fountain pen inks with the others being De Atramentis Document Black, and Noodler’s Dark Matter

1 Like

Now if we only knew if Blink was good for fountain pens. They specify everything, but as any fountain pen enthusiast knows, if it doesn’t detail effects on fountain pens, you really shouldn’t trust it.

2 Likes

I shall use it to inscribe the DARKEST WORDS on my BLACKENED HEART or something.

1 Like

Big fan of Noodler’s polar eel black as I use an EF nib, and it’s one of the only good flowing quick drying “bulletproof” inks out there.

Tried Heart of Darkness, and it’s good, just doesn’t dry as fast.

1 Like

Well, you can always use Blink to paint the gothiest goth.

1 Like

I haven’t tried Polar Eel Black yet, I think it’s due to where I live we get like three days of freezing temps a year. So I never gave a freeze resistant ink any thought.

I can’t stand the Original Noodler’s black, I’ve tried to like it but I just can’t. The only thing it has going for it is it’s water resistance. I got a sample of Heart of Darkness and your right it takes a while to dry. I kinda want to get a big bottle just to try out the Charlie Pen as a morbid curiosity.

I may also be addicted to cheap fountain pens. I bought a 12 pack of the Jinhao Shark pens. It’s fun how bad they are. The pack I got had three different kinds of converters direct from the factory.

2 Likes

And as a lefty: How easy is it to clean off your hands? OR should I dye my hands black before writing with it?

2 Likes

I regard inkened fingers as a badge of honor, but I’m a writer.

1 Like

I live in So. Cal, so I also don’t have to worry about freezing, I tried it because of the “eel” aspect. Using an EF nib, a lot of inks just don’t flow terribly well. Also, the “bulletproof” aspect was appealing as I still use checks for a couple of things a month.

As for cheap pens, I bought a cheapo Japanese one (I like slim barreled fountain pens, which makes things even more difficult). The brand name is “Muji”, model “Moma” and the nib is supposedly iridium coated… So far it works great. Did not come with a convertor though (but I had a spare that fit, so it seems like a standard size).

Here’s a review I found:

It is very light (which takes some getting used to), but the concerns about it being fragile are not really significant. I’ve been abusing my cheap pen for some months now, and it’s doing fine.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.