The world's richest 2000 billionaires could wipe out extreme poverty with one seventh of what they gained last year

Well, if you move the goalposts, I get a penalty shot. :wink:

<several minutes of furious googling later> Argh, you have outfoxed me; despite much scientific publishing being a money-making scam and the field as a whole almost entirely disconnected from any assurance of validity, it’s difficult to find a cite for the logical necessity of poverty - because there’s more money to be made publishing papers arguing over whether poverty is absolute (and therefore can be “solved”) or relative (and therefore the human virtues of charity and generosity can never be engineered out of society). Thus, the words poor and poverty effectively have no agreed upon meaning in scientific journals. Curse your perfidious ingenuity!!

[mid-atlantic accent] Ugh, but just imaaaagine what it would do to inflaaaation. *swoons*

1 Like

Saying that a quote from a religious text is not a convincing citation is not moving the goalposts, the fact that there are problems in scientific publishing does not contradict that science is the best source of reliable facts, and although they aren’t scientific citations, perhaps you could check out the links in this comment which appeared before yours:

4 Likes

For the majority of humans, for the majority of history, I’m afraid that it is. The most convincing of all cites.

Are you under the mistaken impression that I am arguing against giving money to the poor? I must have expressed myself pretty poorly.

It’s still not a citation in a scientific journal. Moreover, there is no need for religion and science to be mutually exclusive.

3 Likes

Sure, agreed, but this requirement for a scientific journal was nowhere in the original request for a cite which I replied to. I went for the most popular shibboleth first. :slight_smile:

And if we really want to, we can find peer-reviewed scholarly papers arguing that poverty is relative, and therefore cannot be “solved” because physics, psychology and physiology all prevent human beings from being equally supplied in perfect unanimity. Someone will always be the prettiest. I read an interesting discussion touching on the strengths and weaknesses of such arguments in the Oxford Economic Papers, New Series, Vol. 35, No. 2 (Jul., 1983), pp. 153-169 titled Poor, Relatively Speaking by Amartya Sen, but I don’t think the matter is really settled, scientifically.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.