The Yankee Candle phenomenon

They went out of business after four years.

23 Likes

And that are prone to complaining online if things don’t go their way.

2 Likes

True, but that’s what I mean about Amazon’s data allowing you to control for things – they will already have stats on what proportion of people leave a negative review when something is wrong with a product, so you can extrapolate how many candle buyers actually have problem X from the number who complain about it.

That’s assuming there is no direct correlation between complaining and covid, of course. I guess it’s possible that complainers get in more arguments and therefore get more covid via yelling, in which case the extrapolation to non-complainers would be invalid. It definitely would be invalid to extrapolate for groups that don’t buy detectable numbers of WASP-coded scented candles in the first place.

As a sufferer of nasal polyps who can’t smell things, especially important things (natural gas, gasoline, burning, antifreeze, mold, ants, body odor, expired food, etc.)…I say, finally some people are actually experiencing what I’ve been going through for the past 12 years.

5 Likes

I’m anosmic. I haven’t had covid, to the best of my understanding - my last test was negative in July. Most of the time I have no or very little sense of smell, while a reasonable sense of taste. Then every so often my olfactory nerves go into overdrive and I smell something overwelming, or something very subtle that others have to have pointed out to them. And sometimes I have olfactory hallucinations - I think I’m smelling something I couldn’t possibly smell. Anyway, I line up with the “Yankee Candles are a waste of time” folks. Did you ever light one? A properly scented candle spreads its scent around the room while it’s burning. Yankee Candles do not do this - at least, not in my experience. It’s a parody of the idea to have a scented candle that’s only scented while it isn’t doing it’s proper job.

1 Like

My sympathies from the other end of the spectrum.

I have occasional bouts of hyperosmia. It’s not as bad as anosmia, but it’s not great either. It’s made me sensitive to a great many smells, especially perfumes and artificial scents. I am annoyed when I buy something labeled “unscented” only to discover it has a “masking fragrance” or some similar description for something stinky that makes it unusable for me. Palmolive’s Free and Clear dish soap goes beyond annoying to enraging in this regard.

Yankee Candle and Pier One are instant headache-inducers for me at the best of times, but when I’m hyperosmic they’re excruciating.

6 Likes

Some of them are truly vile, to be sure.

1 Like

Laddies? As in little lads? Confused. :wink:

By god, it’s perfect. You remove the secret message from the bottom of the candle, absorb the information, then burn the message in the container’s gloriously scented flame!

2 Likes

I’ve always been sensitive to smells/perfumes…but back in 2011, I ate some pesto and apparently am susceptible to Pine Nut Syndrome (PNS) which makes anything I eat/drink/breathe to taste like I’m sucking on a bunch of bitter pennies. Ever since then, my tolerance of perfumes has gone to shit…laundry detergent, candles, spray cleaners, etc. all give me headaches and makes my tongue feel like it’s coated in chemicals.
Long story short, @DiveGirl, have you had PNS?

1 Like

I’ve never had PNS (just sprinkled some pine nuts on a salad recently, actually). I’m sorry they mess with your taste, that would suck. Out of curiosity: Cilantro - yea or nay? I love the stuff.

My intolerance of smells grew in my teens and by the time I hit my 20s I was working on eliminating all scented products in my life as well. I’m thankful that in the ensuing years people have leaned away from marinating in perfume as much as they used to.

My weird taste issues are hating the taste of cashews and coffee - even the smell of coffee is repulsive to me.

1 Like

Yea to cilantro, cashews and coffee…perhaps you don’t like C-foods, haha.

Nope, I love cilantro, so that breaks the chain.

There was a period in the 80s where it seemed like I was only eating junk food in orange wrappers (Cheetos, Mandarin Orange Slice soda, Reese’s cups) but then I cleaned up some bad habits.

Apparently this is caused by pinus armandii.

https://jamiegeller.com/blogs/are-your-pine-nuts-poisonous/
“The culprit of this awful sensation was poisonous nuts in her tart, pinus armandii , a nut from China that is nearly identical to the pine nut except that it is much shorter. The Food and Agriculture Organization classifies these pills as unfit for human consumption; but because these nuts do not cause any permanent harm, shipments of pine nuts from China that might have pinus armandii mixed in are still available on supermarket shelves.”

Moral: Avoid Chinese pine nuts. Buy the (more expensive) Italian ones.

2 Likes

?

laddie

2 Likes

Coffee is a weird one for me. I find black coffee unpleasant to drink, but I love the smell - and absolutely LOVE chocolate covered espresso beans. In general, coffee and chocolate pair up nicely.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.